Any hunters among us??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the 308 DROPS 47 inches at 500 m...so at 1200m it would drop more than double that..
you would have to aim at least 8ft higher just to get close to the target..

i think 1200 m is way too far for a 308..
have a look at gunnersden.com for all ballistic info for all different calibers...
very informative site,i just found it tonight and found very helpfull info there..

anyway that scope would be too hard to get onto a moving target out in the field,but very good on the range.
most shots would be in thick scrub anyway,so u wont need to zero in on something that far away..

I was able to shoot a 2 foot group of 5 rounds at 900m with a .243. Im not wanting to shoot accuratly. Im happy to even hit a target at 1200m

1200m is a very long way for a 308. Loading your own would be the only way. And a shit load of knowledge to get out that far to consistently hit your target. But all the luck to you. I havent got into reloading just yet, but heading that way.

Problem with those stocks is the foreend bends and touches the barrel and they are not bedded. The M40 rifle is quite different to the off the shelf rem 700 but i wont go into all that stuff. If you really want to learn a shit load, jump on snipershide. What you have is a great rifle to start learning on. Shoot the shit out of it and practise.

I really like the challenge of long range shooting. There is lots and lots of shit to learn to get good at it though, and im only just starting. Once i get the new rifle will join a club to help me learn more.

Pretty jealous you have access to 1200m range to shoot on though.

Pete

All the best with it.

at 1200 yards (not meters) with a slightly faster round, 178gr bullet, your looking at around 561 inches of drop. with a 5mph cross wind you will be 55 inches off your target left or right, bullet will take over 2 seconds to get there. Add in elevation, temp, humidity, & changing winds..... will need about 13mills (around 40 sumthing MOA) adjustment in your scope.

But like i said, have fun, have a crack and if your happy to hit it once, go for it. The scope will play a big part in getting there, if you have enough adjustment+hold over.

1200m is a very long way for a 308. Loading your own would be the only way. And a shit load of knowledge to get out that far to consistently hit your target. But all the luck to you. I havent got into reloading just yet, but heading that way.

Problem with those stocks is the foreend bends and touches the barrel and they are not bedded. The M40 rifle is quite different to the off the shelf rem 700 but i wont go into all that stuff. If you really want to learn a shit load, jump on snipershide. What you have is a great rifle to start learning on. Shoot the shit out of it and practise.

I really like the challenge of long range shooting. There is lots and lots of shit to learn to get good at it though, and im only just starting. Once i get the new rifle will join a club to help me learn more.

Pretty jealous you have access to 1200m range to shoot on though.

Pete

All the best with it.

If you want to get into loading try the Lee Precission

Lee Reloading - Reloading - Buy from Western Firearms

Its all single die stuff but ive found its awesome for learning on and its only about $250 for the whole kit.

Sorry if im coming across as cocky. I dont mean to be. I just think that a lot of people just read the statistics of a gun and round and write it off because it says it cant do it on paper. My granddad used to do open sight shooting silhouette with a 6.5 mauser up to 1000m and hit a 2 foot diameter bell. Paper says its impossible but he and a few others did it.

I went down to my local range for a visit a few months ago as I was looking at buying a .22, they asked me if I wanted compete in the shoot and to use thier loan gun which was an old and I mean old .243 that just gets thrown around. I ended up come 4th out of about 15 at a 900m shoot and I have never shot anything bigger than a .22.

Personally, I'd be looking at 300WM, 338LAP or go the whole hog 50BMG for a 1200 range,
youd be pointing at the sky to hit a target with a 308.

A 150gn .308W zeroed at 100 meters would have to aim high 675.31 inches to zero at 1000 meters, with only 918 fps remaining on a dead still no wind day.

Personally, I'd be looking at 300WM, 338LAP or go the whole hog 50BMG for a 1200 range,
youd be pointing at the sky to hit a target with a 308.

A 150gn .308W zeroed at 100 meters would have to aim high 675.31 inches to zero at 1000 meters, with only 918 fps remaining on a dead still no wind day.

50BMG would be nice if they were legal in aus.

50 cal is legal here, problem is finding a legal 1000m+ range that will also let you on for starters.

you can use them at Little River gun range,i think.
saw some guys weigh down a rifle with kilos of lead and used straps just to fire the bloody thing...lol

hey joe win mag or short mag.
had a 300 win mag for a couple of years, changed over now for a 300 wsm in a remington sps in stainless. they start to rust as you get them out the bag on the coorong so i went stainless

i got the 300 (long) mag....i did think i was getting the short..
i have a contact at the importers and got it for $400 with a 3-9 scope....brand new in the box....cant be too choosy with that price...
how did you like your 300 long?
what did u use it on at coorong?:rock:

i got the 300 (long) mag....i did think i was getting the short..
i have a contact at the importers and got it for $400 with a 3-9 scope....brand new in the box....cant be too choosy with that price...
how did you like your 300 long?
what did u use it on at coorong?:rock:

The 300WM is a better round than the 300WSM. There may be debate but thats the way it is.

I was shooting at Little River about 12 months ago and a guy had a 50 cal set on the bench next to mine. When he shot the thing the blast from the muzzle break blew my scope caps of my bench, that was it I had to sit and watch. Awesome rifles but he told me it cost him $3.00 a round. I would had loved a go but he didnt offer and it would of been very bad form to ask.

how did you like your 300 long?:

loved it, nice punch not much kick. Had a ruger laminated stock, was bit heavy for covering the km,s on open ground imo. So went for a lightweight remington probably notice slightly more kick but the limbsaver recoil pads on rems make a difference. Put the same on my 308 tikka for my boys

loved it, nice punch not much kick. Had a ruger laminated stock, was bit heavy for covering the km,s on open ground imo. So went for a lightweight remington probably notice slightly more kick but the limbsaver recoil pads on rems make a difference. Put the same on my 308 tikka for my boys

i might have to change to a limbsaver pad as the one on there is quite solid...not much give in it..its also a synthetic stock so the kick will be more noticeable.

went to the range yesterday to sight in the 300 win.mag....and she hits hard.
the crappy recoil pad they fit to it is useless.
its hard as a rock and after 3 shots the shoulder was tender.
after 12 shots it hurt.....gota replace it with a good one.
anyway,i didnt have a boresight for the 300 and couldnt even hit the target..
i couldnt tell if i was shooting high or low..
so much for it being sighted by the factory..(joke)..
i got a boresight coming so will go back to the range when i get it.

Latest posts

Back