another new guy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maty

Reaction score
Hi all
my names mat from perth in west oz…
I've just purchased a 2008 d40 navara, 2.5l diesel, manual….. pick it up on tues...
the wish list has already started…

any1 got any tips to look out for with this model…?
any1 got any places that are good to get accessories from..?
will post my build once it starts

cheers guys
mat

welcome maty
plenty of usefull info buried in here...
and a lot of active members willing to help
we also have several business owners who are active members
try zordo for suspension , nissbits for gen parts
tough toys for accessories, superior engineering, ironman has a rep on here regularly, the list goes on

enjoy

Last edited:
Welcome! Being a 2008 it's probably an STX.

They had dual mass flywheels which were a PITA if you towed or liked to ride the clutch (particularly when dragging Hiluxes off at the lights). Being a 4-cylinder it was a little rough at low RPM when in gear with a solid flywheel, so they stuck the DMF in and wrecked it! Yours might have been changed already, but beware of that if you are going to tow or notice Hiluxes (heavy window tint will prevent this).

Being a 2008 it also may have old, old vacuum hoses which attach to and control the turbocharger's performance. If you have any doubts about its get-up-and-go, that's the first place to look.

EGR mod is a first (and cheap, and easy) one to do. Inspect the EGR manifold (gold pipe that runs around from the exhaust behind the alternator around to the intake on the other side of the engine, passing around the front and connected to the heater matrix inside the cabin). Look for black soot - if you see it, then blocking the exhaust side will be imperative and you'll need to block the intake side to prevent boost leaks.

Grab a can of electrical contact cleaner and pull the MAFS out (look in my garage, there's a labelled pic of the engine bay). Be careful, it's expensive - don't poke anything solid in the little hole, but make sure you spray clean it well. It's a very important sensor!

Other than that, they're not a bad car. Shouldn't be affected by the wheel recall, or the axle recall, but may have needed the bonnet restraint recall (check, if yours has an extra strap to hold the bonnet in place).

The intercooler (up the front) is a big unit and fills with oil from the PCV (blow-by). Unbolt, fill with petrol, start an Elvis track and stop when Elvis stops. Empty, repeat until fairly clear then allow to air-dry for an hour before reinstalling.

Don't EVER use aftermarket fuel filters. They just don't work. Try it and find out, make sure you have a genuine Nissan one handy (they aren't that much dearer than the aftermarket ones).

Did I say welcome? Oh yes, all the bloody way back up there. Jeez I can ramble.

G'day Maty. Welcome!

Always plenty of info and helpful advice here.

Search feature can be a bit of a bugger to use but will still yield some handy info. Having said that, I think allot of the problem is how some threads are titled.

hey guys
cheers for the welcome and all the info
also just curious what does blocking the egr do
cheers

Undo a few bolts put it in do up a few bolts, only negative is using less fuel /100k but that's a positive , it is rather easy to do just need to make sure of the plate shape

Latest posts

Back