Air Bag Light

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Campbell

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I need a bit of help if anyones got time.

I have a D22,the steering box burst everywhere not a big deal. Found a used one and replaced it however I did not put the steering lock on and the wheel got turned pulling the ribbon/clock spring apart. Got another ribbon from a breaker that was 4years older than mine (does that matter? part looks the same in every way) fitted the part and the horn worked again....Job done just need to run it over to my mates garage plug it in and reset the airbag light.
No such luck,it would'nt reset and the computer came back with 'open circut'.
Not sure where to go from here, tried reseting it with the key on/off count to five etc.
I dont understand there are only two multiplugs horn and airbag what could be up????the only thing I can think of is that because the part is older it is different in some way that the ECU does not like.
Anyone got any ideas????
Theres a bunch of flowers in it for you if any of you ladies can help
Cheers

Welcome to the forum.

According to the manual, the sensor unit for the driver's air bag is under the rear part of the centre console and a cable runs from there up to the steering column and in to the air bag itself. The airbag diagnostics take about 7 seconds, the light should come on with the ignition and turn off when the diags are over. There is a specific advice to NOT use testing equipment on the air bag circuit. As a guess, I'd say it wouldn't take a lot of voltage to deploy the air bag, and measuring the resistance requires a voltage input - you could easily set the thing off. Here's the diagnosis from the manual:

If the light comes on with the ignition and goes out after 7 seconds - normal operation.

If the light comes on with the ignition and then starts flashing then use a CONSULT device to check the diagnostics. "Airbag Open" (as you have indicated) indicates that:
* The spiral cable is damaged or not connected properly
* The airbag itself is damaged
* The diagnosis sensor unit is damaged

If the light comes on with the ignition and stays on then the system thinks the airbag has been deployed.

If the light does NOT come on then it could be a fuse or the instrument lamp (not sure how likely the lamp failure will be but anything's possible).

Has the vehicle been submerged with water over the floorpan? The diagnosis unit would have been soaked, that could be the source of the problem. There's probably a connector for the airbag->diagnosis unit at the base of the steering column inside the cabin that may require your attention as well.

Good luck with it. You can download the D22 service manual, link is in this thread.

Welcome to the forums.

There has been reports that the link Tony posted above no longer has any working links to the d22 service manual. There are plenty of people who have it and one of them might be happy to put it on a server somewhere but your other choices for getting it are, ebay, UK nav forum (need to donate first) or there was a site that had american versions of the Navara manuals which is possibly still around, I think it was called pdftown or something similar.

I had this problem after fitting a new radio/Dvd unit and the SRS warning light started flashing. Maddogrc suggested the following and it worked ahd to do it twic but it worked:

his:

If you have the airbag light, it will show steady for a few seconds (the manual says 7 secs) after you turn the key from off to on (but not start) and then start to flash. Here is how to reset it:

1. Turn the key from off to on.

2. Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the key off instantly.

3. Count to 5 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi . . . .)

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.

5. Now turn the key on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.

6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.

If it does not work the first time, just repeat the steps again.

My Airbag light went on after a problem with the drivers side door after an accident, not the accident itself caused it though, for a brief time it was still parked on the road before getting fixed and somehow water would get in, and there would be a puddle of water right next to the pedals....I think the water caused it, it resolved on it's own, the light went out, but I wouldn't count on this airbag anymore :p

I hope you can get yours fixed.

Latest posts

Back