Advice on buying my first d40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerrie0400

Reaction score
I have decided to buy a Nissan navara d40. i would like to know what the opinion is on the st-x in the auto.

I'm looking at buying a 2007 d40 with 200,000kms on the clock and its the petrol with the 5 speed auto for $13000, is this a good price for what it is.

I have never owned a auto 4x4 before so im not sure what to expect. I do want a petrol tho because i have had the diesel and there expensive to fix.

The high kms are really not a big issue for me but it would be nice to have a lower kms.

I don't go off road much, specially not wet muddy roads. Any advice you guys could send my way would be good, i don't really want to spend any more than $15000.

The VQ40 is a strong reliable motor with 198 killer Wasps but beware it can be heavy on fuel with an Auto box.The VQ40 is the less popular motor combo in the D40 Navara however the D40 Frontier ( the US truck) has the exact same engine so parts etc are cheaper to import than to buy locally.
If possible get the full service history to see if the maintenance schedule has been followed with timing belts etc .

A work colleague had one and had lots of trouble with it too , on average he was getting only 450 k per tank , their shocking on fuel , on the plus side , they go like a cut cat

Had an 07 V6 Nav STX as a work car. It originally the bosses and he enticed me over with it. Oh, he is a tight arse too. It had 30 K on the clock with a service sticker on the windscreen that said it had last been serviced an 10 K. I used this to tow our race boats on weekends and to run backwards and forwards to Echuca and Gippsland every weekend. We raced from Berri SA to Grafton NSW. The fuel light would come on at 300 Ks and if I pushed I could get a bit over 430K's with a boat. It got to 50K pretty quick and I said to the boss we have to service this, 60 K and I just dropped it off because I was concerned about the oil in the throttle body! 70 K and it sounded like a Diesel and had no grunt.

City Nissan in Nth Melbourne got us a newly wrecked motor with 12K on it and put it in, for 13 grand! Got a warrantee, 100K/3 years and we got it serviced there every 10K. got to 120 K on the Nav, 62 K on the motor and the same shit started again, even thou we got it serviced. Another 2 K later and I was back in Nth Melbourne to find the dealership/service centre had gone into receivership, the motor was stuffed and Nissan said the warranty was held by the dealership!

Apparently, oils are not oils and be careful what they put in the V6!

Back