Accessory/ignition wire

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMik3

Reaction score
Ok so I have a stupid question to ask. what have you guys done in regards to powering your accessories?
I currently have 1set of HID spotties wired up tapped into the ciggie lighter, and bought a CB radio at the camping show on the weekend, can I run the two power cables of this aswell or do I have to run them from the battery?
My question is for tapping into accessory wires can you tap into the same one time any time again or do you have to find a new one every time? reason I ask is I have 2 9inch hids spotties to go in and some LEDS to install in the tub.
Can you make you own accessory relay harness with a fuse box that you can run all the wires for accessories to? sorry if this is a little confusing I have no idea with electrics with all my previous performance cars only thing I installed was a stereo so never came across the problem of running multiple accessories.

I am doing this from my phone so can't type much but do not keep going to the ciggy socket for power as you will overload the wiring. Someone will be on soon to assist.

accessories

not sure if it rite but this is what i done
picked up the cig + and - to the coil of the relay,
then installed a FUSED wire to one side of the relay and then used a terminal block and this allows a heap of accessory type of wiring..
I also FUSED all wiring leaving the block to the desired accessory

This is how we do it in the Electrical field so though it would work with the auto field
could call it over protecting but i would rather that than NO car and a fire
so far been great

:rock:

If I made cig light wires into a relay wouldn't it over load the wires once I have 3 or 4 things running off it. Eg UHF, wires for 3x switches for lights ect.
That is what I was hoping to do but didn't want to start playing with factory harnesses until I was sure

The cig lighter only powers the coil /switch in the relay most have a nominal current draw so they wont over draw the cig circuit...the relay then needs a bigger wire usually from the battery or other similar supply to power your devices connected to it.

G'day

Your HID or Light Bar needs to turn off when the High Beam turns off otherwise you are not roadworthy. You can run work lights/search lights from the accessories.

The UHF powered direct from the lighter socket should be OK

Navarian do they plug straight into the spares in a fuse box?
Camo I know u need heavier wire to power lights ect from battery just wasn't sure if I could use one acc wire to power all switches

Make an accessories harness do it right, do it once
malicious that's what I want to do just don't know how. any advice is greatly appreciated. Is there a how to on here somewhere I have missed? that someone can point me to?

Thanks for all the help guys I do appreciate it. Sorry if it sounds a little stupid but car electrics are not my strong point I'm a complete noob

I like the idea of the blade fuse tap. I've not seen those before, saves cutting and splicing for low draw accessories. I could test this, but does the power to the fuse box under the steering wheel switch on and off with the accessories switch?

grg I suppose it would depend which one you tapped into. Eg radio only work when acc is on but lights can stay on with ign off. I'll have as look when I get the chance and keep you all posted.

Latest posts

Back