Accessories on a new D22 ST-R

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cage

Reaction score
Hi

About to order a new D22. I'm retired so this will probably be my last new car and I want to get it right.

I intend to set it up for extended touring.

These are the accessories I think I'll get the dealer to fit.

SNORKEL: The Nissan fitted price borders on extortion, however I'm damn sure if I fit an aftermarket one and I have any problems with the injection system or the turbo, the get out by the dealer will be "the non OEM snorkel has caused the problem therefore voiding the warranty"

U/L LINER: Price about the same, so no problem.

IMMOBILISER: Nissan don't have one, but if I get the dealer to fit the Mongoose M80S one I've selected, I may have some comeback if it causes problems. Hope so because I believe it interfaces with the ECU. I realise that the intruder alarm only works off the drivers door and I've read the thread on here about linking up the other three doors.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

Cage

Should have read this one before replying to the other one, haha.

Snorkel, you have 2 options, tjm do an "airtec" one which is the same as the genuine Nissan one, maybe with better fitting than if it was done at a dealer. Nissan have a habit of not sealing them properly, so while it may look good, there's a good chance it isn't water tight, unless the dealer actually cares... No one else makes a snorkel that fits with the dual battery setup in the newer models, however if you decide to fit one yourself then nizzbits can give you decent pricing on the genuine ones.

As for tub liners, you have a few options. You can get the drop in plastic one or there are spray on options which are a lot better. The dealer can probably organize it, or you can get diy kits too which have good results. They are a lot better than the drop in plastic ones in that they give the tub a bit of grip and won't rub the paint off the inside of the tub...

As for the immobiliser that's probably a good choice, depending on how much faith you have in the dealer playing with the electrics... There's not really anything an immobiliser can interface with on the d22 ecu, so I wouldn't be too worried there.

Hi Cage,
Have a look at my ride thread, I have done all that you are about to get done instead the Alarm is a M60S.
I fitted all my self bar the alarm and couldn't be happier.
Snorkel is not hard at all, just drilling the hole takes a bit of nerve to attack a fresh panel.

With the alarm you might want to ask them to disable the re arm feature as it is a major pain in the arse.

Good luck.

Cage, I spend alot of time in my d22 and I will be looking at upgrading the seats...just not comfortable after 2 hrs for me....the d40's are I believe alot better overall in comfort and as a long distance cruiser...just comment from guys I know who own them

@bods..... Thanks for replying. The problems you mentioned with sealing the snorkel is pretty much why I've decided to get it dealer fitted. It's a brand new vehicle and if I have problems I have some comeback under warranty.

And I've had a look at the spray on linings such as Rhino and decided that's the way to go. As you mentioned no rubbing and probably no sweating under the liner either.

@tonyd22..... Had a read through your mods. Mate, your ute is shaping up really nicely. I've also decided to go with the Ironman Protector B/Bar, apart from the fact that it is well thought of, I think the polished stainless steel will look quite smart on my black Ute.

As I don't want to do anything that will impact on the new vehicle warranty I have to be careful with what I do but the shockies don't seem to be very well thought of and I will have a look at my options with changing them.

Oh, and the front seat has to go. It's a disgrace.

Last edited:
EGR mod is almost a must. so much better performance and doesnt soot as much

Replace the rear bar with a ARB/TJM bar. stock d22 has no rear recovery points and the stock step is so weak it will bend if you jump on it. so worth protecting.

Look at how low your sump is. a front bash plate is a must for touring to protect it. the car is useless if you take the sump out on a rock.

Stock d22 lights are seriously crap. I'd recommend a light bar, get whatever suits/budget allows. otherwise even cheap spotties will b fine.

A nice little $50 addition (can't remember exact price from nizzbits) was the clutch side foot rest. makes it so much more comfy, one of the cheapest yet most used mods on the vehicle.

Roof racks of some sort make this already versalite beast even better.

A canopy makes a world of difference, either canvas with/without metal roof and with/without lockable internal cage or a hardtop canopy. gear thats free from dust/ and kept dry is much nicer to deal with.

Stock suspension is bad off road. even just aftermarket shocks will make a world of difference and are very easy to do.

I've tried to include rationalle for everything I've suggested. good luck with your build

EGR mod is almost a must. so much better performance and doesnt soot as much

Replace the rear bar with a ARB/TJM bar. stock d22 has no rear recovery points and the stock step is so weak it will bend if you jump on it. so worth protecting.

Look at how low your sump is. a front bash plate is a must for touring to protect it. the car is useless if you take the sump out on a rock.

Stock d22 lights are seriously crap. I'd recommend a light bar, get whatever suits/budget allows. otherwise even cheap spotties will b fine.

A nice little $50 addition (can't remember exact price from nizzbits) was the clutch side foot rest. makes it so much more comfy, one of the cheapest yet most used mods on the vehicle.

Roof racks of some sort make this already versalite beast even better.

A canopy makes a world of difference, either canvas with/without metal roof and with/without lockable internal cage or a hardtop canopy. gear thats free from dust/ and kept dry is much nicer to deal with.

Stock suspension is bad off road. even just aftermarket shocks will make a world of difference and are very easy to do.

I've tried to include rationalle for everything I've suggested. good luck with your build

Thanks for taking the time to give me an insight into the sort of things I'm unaware of.

EGR mod:.... Is this the blocking mod? Will it interfere with my warranty?

Rear Bar:.... I was looking at fitting a tow-bar with an optional lock-in recovery point.

Bash Plate:.. My choice of Bull Bar is the Ironman Protector. Will it give the required sump protection?

Lights: ........ When I was a young rev-head I loved driving hard at night. Not so much now I'm in my geriatric period. Spotties/Light Bar are on my list.

Foot Rest:....Thank you very much for reminding me how much I miss one.

Canopy: ......Am getting one. Still trying to get my head around the appropriate one to hold a roof top tent. The carrying capacities have me bamboozled ATM but am working on it.

Suspension:. The most universal complaint about the D22 is the suspension off-road.. Was looking into some Bilsteins before I get into the seriously dirty stuff.

Mate, really appreciate you taking the time to help. I hope I can do the same for others when I get sorted.

Oh, and my Staffy ate a possum recently. Hope it wasn't one of your rellies. She is a little bitch at times, and figures anything that comes into the yard is a potential menu item.

Cheers

Cage

ur correct about the EGR.

tow bar isn't as good as complete rear bar replacement.

TJM makes a bash plate to suite their bullbar. only the front plate is required, no need for the whole system

I think the ARB canopies are the best $$$ for what you get. you need the internal bracing and then whatever type of rack you like on top.

ps. my possum relo's are slightly too big to eat

I would also get a turbo timer. Cheap insurance.
If u can get a dual battery that would go a long way or touring.

They come standard with dual batteries now, they are just wired in parallel. You just need to either add a typical isolator or a dc-dc charger and split the wiring to separate them

apparently the cheap ones deteriorate and crack in our hot sun quite quickly
genuine tjm/airtec/Nissan from nissbits are only $350

Last edited:
The genuine Nissan snorkel from Nizbits is $370 and is supposed to fit the new models with twin batteries.

Nissan want $800+ to supply and fit, a bloody rip-off, but then you don't have a warranty problem 'coz I'm sure that if anything goes wrong, motor wise, they will blame the after market snorkel because it wasn't fitted/sealed property, or whatever the dude in the service dept picks from his long list of wriggle-out answers.

I fitted the Safari mate only due to the well known quality of it also the ram separates the water before it goes to your airbox also you can turn it around but the huge induction tube meant i lost my 2nd battery i fitted one large cranker and put the other 120ah agm behind the seat.

Attachments

• IMG_3275.jpg
    IMG_3275.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 74
nizbits is where mine came from
and they do come with the yd25 intake for dual batteries
give arb at Barnsley a call re fitting
they quoted me $140 2 yrs ago
tjm at wallsend was roughly the same
I ended up doing it myself
Nissan cant void your wty for ANY legal aftermarket bits unless they can prove the bit was the direct cause of failure
Nissan would be the last people on earth I would go to for any accessory fitting, they even managed to fudge my window tint
there are heaps of blokes on here who have had to properly seal there snorkel after a dealer install

Last edited:
Cage one thing to consider is a much better rear bar/towbar combo such as scotty a member on here or arb tjm produce even with a simple 2 inch lift my towbar and rear bar will drag at the muster i realized the last gully would of torn off my power to the van and we would lose the fridge it's one of the weakest parts of the d22 departure angle just thought i would add that.
John

Thanks for the replies.

I'll reiterate here by saying again that I'm retired, on the OAP, and want to keep the factory warranty as long as possible.

@John.....Mate, I wont be doing any musters, or any other off-road heavy duty tracks, just want to do stuff like the Cape with safety, and generally have a vehicle that I can use to get to good photo opportunities without too much stress, and realising that I can't go everywhere.

@sparra04......Thanks for your reply. We all know how much a dealer will try to get out of a warranty claim, my intention is to give them as little chance as possible. By paying the extra $300 for them to fit the snorkel I figure that I'll give them less opportunity to knock me back on a claim. Any other accessories that don't have a direct influence on the way the vehicle performs will NOT be purchased from the dealer.

Cheers

Thanks for the replies.

I'll reiterate here by saying again that I'm retired, on the OAP, and want to keep the factory warranty as long as possible.

@John.....Mate, I wont be doing any musters, or any other off-road heavy duty tracks, just want to do stuff like the Cape with safety, and generally have a vehicle that I can use to get to good photo opportunities without too much stress, and realising that I can't go everywhere.

@sparra04......Thanks for your reply. We all know how much a dealer will try to get out of a warranty claim, my intention is to give them as little chance as possible. By paying the extra $300 for them to fit the snorkel I figure that I'll give them less opportunity to knock me back on a claim. Any other accessories that don't have a direct influence on the way the vehicle performs will NOT be purchased from the dealer.

Cheers

The problem you have is this... The dealer will happily fit the snorkel and charge you for it. What they don't tell you is if you take it "off road" and go through a deep puddle and suck water up because they didn't seal it properly is that it won't be covered under warranty...

People have had 4wd components fail off road and been told its not covered under warranty unless it is on a "gazetted road" .....

Take that as you will, but just be aware, as mentioned above, unless they can prove the failure was a direct result of a modification they can't deny warranty. Especially if you are fitting a factory option part.

Personally, whether they cover it or not, I'd like to know I'm taking all precautions I can to at least avoid getting stuck somewhere because they didn't fit something properly... I'd rather fun the risk of it "not being covered" than run the risk of drowning the motor somewhere and having to try and tow it somewhere to get repaired...

Each to their own I guess, but not many people put much faith in nissan to fit extras properly...

Bloody hell. The ST-R has a '4 X 4 OFF ROAD' decal on the side. Surely that indicates that the vehicle is meant to be used off-road.

How can the dealer fail to honour the warranty if you go off-road. But then they have more escape clauses than a pre-nup agreement.

I have a contact who fits accessories for a living. Nizbits and a slab will get the job done and probably better than if done at work.

Latest posts

Back