3L?? Or spend the bit more for the 2.5 CRD..

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g-lover1991

Reaction score
Hey just wondering if the 2.5 common rail engines r better than the 3L? The zdx30 or whatever it may be called.. With comparing reliability against off the mark speeds? And low down torque.. weather it's better spending the extra money so i can have more confidence at pulling away towing something or just have a better top end speed.. . Or is the old 3l more reliable..? There pretty gutless to drive though, have yet to rest drive a 2.5, that might solve all my problems lol.. Anyway any info would be greatly appreciated..

Yeah, can of worms for sure, the problem is neither is better, they're different, It may be more about how important the newness of the vehicle is to you.
I've driven both and own a ZD30 by choice, I couldn't afford a brand new vehicle at the time and if I could it may have been a different story but I didn't want an older YD25.
The 25 goes better when you rev it out and the vehicle is rolling along and the 30 gets off the mark better, especially with a load on. The 25 being common rail can be more susceptible to fuel quality issues but is more economical, the differences are many, drive both and feel the behavior of each and then try to imagine how that'll suit what you expect from it, that's what I did.
I found the 30 ballsy but not racy at all and quite the opposite with the 25, it seemed racy like you could really cain it but it wouldn't get a horse float rolling, but this is how I perceived it, others will be different, in all honesty the best would be an auto D40 set up with a D22 body, sorry if that offends any one.

drive both see which you prefer both drive very differently, ZD30 is better if you do alot of offroading though, not only is it easier to fix but its less susceptible to fuel contamination, has more torque in lower revs and is pretty reliable (both are actually YD25 has waek timing chains and sprockets though)

My zd30 has been 100% reliable for almost 270000k now, not had to fix anything, if I was looking to change I would still consider the 2.5 liter because of the great fuel economy compared to the 3ltr . Im just not sure how well the 2.5 would pull my trailer on hill starts though.

I owned both gadgets and got better fuel consumption with the ZD30 once I had the same mods on it, 10.31L/100km religiously the YD25 was up around 11L/100km

drive both see which you prefer both drive very differently, ZD30 is better if you do alot of offroading though, not only is it easier to fix but its less susceptible to fuel contamination, has more torque in lower revs and is pretty reliable (both are actually YD25 has waek timing chains and sprockets though)

hmm
here we go again with the timing chain issues
every manufacturer out there has a few lemons
the hilux has terrible issues with injector seals
its not if but when with them,every 80 to 100 k you can put money on it
yes there have been a few timing chain issues,if you are concerned buy the upgrade kit
with the amount of yd25's sold WORLDWIDE the timing chain issue is not very wide spread
worried bout fuel contamination?
fit a 2nd filter and use fuel doctor

Last edited:
hmm
here we go again with the timing chain issues
every manufacturer out there has a few lemons
the hilux has terrible issues with injector seals
its not if but when with them,every 80 to 100 k you can put money on it
yes there have been a few timing chain issues,if you are concerned buy the upgrade kit
with the amount of yd25's sold WORLDWIDE the timing chain issue is not very wide spread
worried bout fuel contamination?
fit a 2nd filter and use fuel doctor
the injector issues have been fixed in the hilux, fixed about 5 years ago when they brought in those diamond tipped injectors and changed the material they used for the injector seals, anyway I guess we are not allowed to talk about timing chains on here anymore... I just think if someone asks the question you should give them the truthful answer.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the response.. Great forum.. Will test drive a few see how I go, I no what I like and what I want so see how I go.. Do I dare say I'm looking at 4.2 td patrol utes as well..

Latest posts

Back