3" Exhausts and low RPMs

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing to add from Chip It. You are the expert. All should bow down.

Everyone should buy a chip from you

Lol at you 2 love it anyway, northside I will have my unichip plug n play next week and was wondering how much to tune a few maps into it for me?

Northside.. I have a 2013 D40 2.5l Manual Navara with snorkel...

What exhaust do you suggest?

I was thinking 2.75 with high flow cat and no muffler?
Looking for a bit of sound, Running low as possible temps and not blowing any turbo's/motors... (guessing new exhaust would screw my warranty)

Also does Stainless do anything different compared to Mild apart from the obvious rust prevention?

Getting EGT and Boost guage installed this weekend to keep an eye on things...

(I had an 05 D22 3L and gained heaps from changing the restrictive dump pipe and loved the Straight through 3' exhaust sound)

I now have a headache and am none the wiser on the exhaust question , i can make one comment on the chips though , does either company fit their chips to brand new Audis and retain not only factory warranty but factory support ??STEINBAUER does , that should help clear up a few questions

Robert , you very well understand the point i was making , you put in writing that you will warrant my engine , with your product and ill happily buy it

ANY sale made in Australia is covered by Australian Consumer law.

So, yes, if your engine Steve is damaged by a Chip It Module, Chip It will make good of the repairs needed. Of course the damage has to be as a direct cause of the Chip with a report by a qualified engineer.

Also, please note that direct cause reported by a qualified engineer does not mean the Service Manager saying "yeah mate, ya Chip caused the issue"

That's a given right?

It may be a given right , but you forget to point out to the fair readers , that " engineers " report is likely to cost them around $ 15,000 , a 600 cc yamaha engine cost me $ 8,000 to have done in 2001 , given the cost of a new crate YD25 is around $ 9,000 , i wonder who would loose out in a worst case scenario ? sounds like were talking about the warranty and right you have , when you dont have a warranty and right

And if your wondering why iam nit picking about warranty , i do have some " small " experience on the issue
that little 600 cc yamaha engine , besides the engineers report , also cost me 35 years of accumulated wealth , my home , my job , my marriage , 2 months in hospital , 6 months on crutches and 12 months learning how to walk again , and ALL BECAUSE i had an aftermarket exhaust on it , and when the ignition failed mid stroke on a start and it disintegrated my right foot , it WASENT covered under warranty , or consumer law !!!!!!

Forget 'backpressure' being necessary/relevant on a turbo diesel, it's not.

i recently enquired beau exhaust for inch system but this is what i got back.

We make a 2 3/4” mandrel bent system with hi-flow converter and dump pipe to suit your 2.5ltr D40 Factory Turbo Navara. We require the build date and series of the Navara.If you increase the tube size above 2 3/4" on this particular there isn't enough back pressure and the turbo spools too fast. This can lead to turbo spiking.Our systems are designed to fit the standard vehicle and any after market modifications you have may impede on the fitment of our system. Please ask if you have any concerns.Upon purchasing please advise us as to whether your vehicle is an automatic or manual and if automatic please advise if your vehicle is fitted with a DPF (diesel particle filter).

i recently enquired beau exhaust for inch system but this is what i got back.

We make a 2 3/4” mandrel bent system with hi-flow converter and dump pipe to suit your 2.5ltr D40 Factory Turbo Navara. We require the build date and series of the Navara.If you increase the tube size above 2 3/4" on this particular there isn't enough back pressure and the turbo spools too fast. This can lead to turbo spiking.Our systems are designed to fit the standard vehicle and any after market modifications you have may impede on the fitment of our system. Please ask if you have any concerns.Upon purchasing please advise us as to whether your vehicle is an automatic or manual and if automatic please advise if your vehicle is fitted with a DPF (diesel particle filter).

I don't understand that.

What spins a turbo isn't the pressure anyway - it's the flow rate. They reduce the opening at the turbine interface to improve the flow velocity at that point - which spins the turbine faster - but beyond that point (the dump pipe onwards) the work has been done, it's all over, get rid of that exhaust gas as fast as you can.

I don't understand that.

What spins a turbo isn't the pressure anyway - it's the flow rate. They reduce the opening at the turbine interface to improve the flow velocity at that point - which spins the turbine faster - but beyond that point (the dump pipe onwards) the work has been. done, it's all over, get rid of that exhaust gas as fast as you can.

Yep, that's right. Think of the Turbo like a waterwheel. Your looking for maximum pressure drop across the turbine. Really the exhaust system is ahead of the exhaust turbine, not down from it. So unlike a NA engine, big is good!
In fact no exhaust at all is even better. A turbo is like a jet engine you don't go putting pipes and mufflers on them.

I don't understand that.

What spins a turbo isn't the pressure anyway - it's the flow rate. They reduce the opening at the turbine interface to improve the flow velocity at that point - which spins the turbine faster - but beyond that point (the dump pipe onwards) the work has been done, it's all over, get rid of that exhaust gas as fast as you can.

not quite.
back pressure, gas velocity and flow rate are all related.
afaik principally its gas velocity. reduce the opening to increase velocity but that increases the back pressure on the motor which is not good (unless you want that for egr purposes which is the main reason for variable turbo's).

one of the problems of a vac controlled turbo is its ability to control the vanes is not great compared to the stepper motor controls turbo's.
the turbo can over boost before the control system can react.

you may even find that the ecu trims fuel if the turbo spins up to quick. which could be why some find loss of power with big exhausts.

not quite.
back pressure, gas velocity and flow rate are all related.
afaik principally its gas velocity. reduce the opening to increase velocity but that increases the back pressure on the motor which is not good (unless you want that for egr purposes which is the main reason for variable turbo's).

one of the problems of a vac controlled turbo is its ability to control the vanes is not great compared to the stepper motor controls turbo's.
the turbo can over boost before the control system can react.

you may even find that the ecu trims fuel if the turbo spins up to quick. which could be why some find loss of power with big exhausts.

I think that's where the engineers call "compromise time!" and settle on an aperture into the turbo. Across the rev range, a smaller aperture suits low RPM and a larger suits higher RPM - a variable aperture turbocharger might be better suited but I've got doubts about anyone building one of those for our cars!

I base my thoughts on the notion that the exhaust gas energy is expended in the turbine itself, and once it's through the turbine itself it's of no further use. Garrett Turbochargers have lots of information about turbochargers and I cant find any consideration at all to exhausts even in their expert section. It's as if they don't give a hoot about what's beyond the turbine outlet, which is what I thought.

However, I do think there are reasons for having a smaller exhaust - maintaining flow.

A large exhaust would allow engine-idle flow rates to be so slow that condensate or worse, unburnt/partly burnt fuel could pool in bends. Reducing the pipe diameter raises the flow rate (which we know, and use, in the turbine inlet design) and thus keeps the exhaust moving out the back.

So I wouldn't be looking for a 4" exhaust for my car!

Well i went with 2.5 straight through, no muffler , exhaust fitted today , he done a good job ( pics in my build thread ) , absolutely dead quiet , if you are looking for a note , this is not the way to find it !! , does feel sharper and more flighty under foot , time will tell if fuel has changed , anyone looking for one like this in Melbourne PM me as you will not get a better price , and its done in 1.5 hours while you wait

Anyone care to show me where the 'bagging' was done?
Asking or even demanding these results shouldn't have to be done by me or any other tuner to be honest. It should be done by the people who own the vehicles.

If they tuned the chips on these cars as they claimed, surely they would have done some kind of testing to prove that it was safe?

Even further, if anyone is near brisbane with any brand of chip, bring it to me and ill run it on the dyno for free for you and post the results up.

@ Dion, both systems were Mandrell and identical in layout, only difference being the size of the pipe and inlet and outlet of the cat and muffler.

hi i have just put redback 3inch exhust safari snorkel and a tunit chip would you dyno my 2005 d22

Back