3.0 litre EGR/Butterfly/Swirl Mod

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats what i have. but i didn't close off the top with an offcut?

its not an off cut. your left with one of the orginal small bits. its just a tidy way to keep it in case you hav to revert it back to stock.

you can please check fuel consumption after doing this mod.
I've had one report of fuel consumption being worse after blocking EGR and butterfly. tho i think it was the guys intake setup that was the culprit.

so tweak did you just unplug the hose going to the swirl control valve.
as i have a chip and gas conversion and id like to see if it make's a difference off the line.

yeah mud4b that is correct.
but i didn't put a bit of u pipe on there either.

for quick testing purposes just unplug the eletrical conection on the solinoid. otherwise but ball bearing in the vac line.
it will certainly be interesting, if the chip/gas is pumping the fuel in at low rpm then it should make a good increase in power off the line.

my gas get's retuned next tuesday so after that ill give it a go and tell ya if there is more low down power or anything.
yeah on my next trip ill do some fuel usage figures.

couple of pics for blocking the EGR pipe.
not my pics but kindly done by another navara owner.

Attachments

• TOPofEGRPIPEplacement.jpg
    TOPofEGRPIPEplacement.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 1,627
  • topgasket.jpg
    topgasket.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 857
  • topplate.jpg
    topplate.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 835
finally got the egr mod done thanks for the help tweak'e hasnt changed my fuel consumption from what i can tell

just remeber that if you block egr you need to do the buttefly mod as well. they both go together.

hey guys, i did the EGR & butterfly mod today. in this thread it says to disable the swirl control valve, is that a must 2 do or is it optional, also the old vac line that used to go to the egr solenoid does that have to be plugged or is that alright to be just left open in the engine bay. so i blocked the egr on the exhaust side like the pictures on pg5 on the thread, and re routed the vac lines like it says. I noticed more turbo whistle especially at low rpm, and also when i turned the engine off it shuttered a lot more, like on its last revolution just like all diesels do but the nav does it alot more than it used to. is this normal the shuddering, after doin the mod or have i done something wrong. any info would be great, thanks fellas.

Matty

hey guys, i did the EGR & butterfly mod today. in this thread it says to disable the swirl control valve, is that a must 2 do or is it optional, also the old vac line that used to go to the egr solenoid does that have to be plugged or is that alright to be just left open in the engine bay. so i blocked the egr on the exhaust side like the pictures on pg5 on the thread, and re routed the vac lines like it says. I noticed more turbo whistle especially at low rpm, and also when i turned the engine off it shuttered a lot more, like on its last revolution just like all diesels do but the nav does it alot more than it used to. is this normal the shuddering, after doin the mod or have i done something wrong. any info would be great, thanks fellas.

Matty

swirl valve is optional extra. its a little bit debatable.

there is no line from EGR solenoid left unused. the only one left over is a little short one which i just put on the ends of the EGR solenoid just for looks.

if its shuddering at shutdown then i guess you have something not quite right. on the shutdown/EGR actuator on the intake, it has two parts both with hoses. those two hoses should be T joined together and connect to the shutdown solenoid. if you don't do that the shutdown actuator will not work and it will shudder on engine shut down.

check the pics again.

i checked the pics again and ive done it right, so i reconnected the swirl control valve and it seems to have fixed the excess shudder. will just have to keep an eye on it, and ill keep note so see if my economy changes.

Matty

unless your turning off motor while in gear, swirl valve should make no difference to shutdown shudder.
you should hear the main butterfly shut as you turn the mottor off and then hear it open again.

yeah your right tweake, enabling the swirl valve again hasent fixed the shudder. you also said the short bit of vac line left over from the EGR solenoid, you put on just for looks. so does that mean it dosent matter if the stub connection on the solenoid hasent got anything on it. im pretty sure i can hear the main butterfly working, well i can definitely hear it click shut so i think that parts right

ok no worries got that one sorted. dano was saying that if the gasket where the blanking plate was installed was leaking, it also cause the excess shudder in shut down. is this right and what could i do to check if that were the case.

....that if the gasket where the blanking plate was installed was leaking, it also cause the excess shudder in shut down..........
doubt it, hole would have to be very big to effect the shutoff. if it leaks it will either spit out exhaust gas or leak boost.

if you have oil in the intake it could shudder due to the motor running on engine oil.

ill have to check the intake 2 morrow, cos last time i had the pipes off i noticed it was spraying a bit of oil. thanks tweake.

Ok guys new to this nav world from what i can gather the egr mod is to help lower egt temps and in turn prevent some of the zd30 issues? I guess its the first mod I should do to mine as well as a catch can?

Latest posts

Back