3.0 litre EGR/Butterfly/Swirl Mod

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone fitted a Dawes valve set up to their navara? Or is it only necessary for the vnt zd30?

not needed.
no vnt turbo on d22 and d40 has a fairly decent control system. its used on the patrol zd30 because its vnt control system is crap.

Happy moder

Well did my EGR/butterfly/swirl mod a fews weeks ago now, and I'm very happy with the results. Seems to have more low down torque less lag on take off.
So big thanks to the guys that put this thread up.
Fraser.

Tip for removing vacuum hoses

I done this mod a few weeks ago and haven't looked back. Didn't notice any power increase in normal driving but definitely did when towing.

The vacuum hoses are difficult to remove but if you push the end with a flat blade screwdriver whilst pulling they come off easier. You may just have to carefully cut them off but there's plenty to play with to do the mod. Someone else said to turn them around which helps get a tight fit. You could also buy a small length of new hose to get a tight fit.

Quick question about EGRs in general.
I found out about this mod a few days ago when I discovered this forum and am interested in doing it myself, however, I'm still unsure whether EGR valves are standard to all diesel engines or just Turbocharged engines.
I have the 2.5 ltr 2003 D22 that was naturally aspirated (it still pulls like a champ, compared to my friends' 1.0ltr hatchbacks anyway) and was wondering if this is a mod I can do to my Navara.
I'm hoping it is, I love routing around in the engine bay, even if it's for something as simple as changing a bulb.
Also, any other suggestions of simple engine mods (or non engine for that matter) would be very welcome.

Alfie

Last edited:
We never had that engine here so I can't say if you've got the egr system or not. There's a pommy navara forum, you can probably find the answer there.

Hey guys wanting to do this mod to my nav but when i look at buying the blanking plate they talk about it possibly putting the car into limp mode if i dont have a dawes valve installed. Do i need one of these or does re running the vacume hoses do the same thing?

What model/ engine types your nav? D40's can get limp from it, but a dawes won't fix that.

Hey guys wanting to do this mod to my nav but when i look at buying the blanking plate they talk about it possibly putting the car into limp mode if i dont have a dawes valve installed. Do i need one of these or does re running the vacume hoses do the same thing?
Depending what year d40 you have i think the boys said 2011 on have the egr sensor dawes valve would bot help you at all. Only thing that will work is a 10mm hole in the plate

No extra T pieces or hose required?

If I mess it up, will there be a sign, ie unable to start or rough idle etc??

Nah mate everything you need is already there. Its not as bad as it seems once you start doing it

Well I completed this mod today, like everyone said easy once you get into it.

Only issue were my vacuum lines were pretty old and broke easily when removed, quick trip to Supercrap and new vacuum lines were needed.

Didn't unplug the plug everyone mentions, everything seems to be running well. Don't have any gauges to compare to previously.

Hey guys and gals
I did the egr block and rerouted the vacuum lines, and double and triple checked to make sure I did it right, and yet the cars over all performance seems to be worse, it doesn't spool up like it used to and I find I have to hold it in gear for longer.
Not sure if it's just my imagination or not but it is noticeable.
I have the zd30, no other mods

Anyone else had this happen? Only thing I could think of is air leaking from the blanking plate (which is at the intake manifold end)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back