3.0 litre EGR/Butterfly/Swirl Mod

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stupid question but is all u doing is buy parssing the egr solinoid

its a little bit more. its basically bypassing the egr butterfly solenoid, but to keep the shutoff butterfly working you need to rearrange the hoses.

because i looked at the pictures and i can kinda follow but am not one hundreded percent sure on it

hey guys i just read the first page and noticed something i didnt before.

not sure if anyone has thought of this.

it improves low down response. with no egr it simply chokes the motor a bit so its not really needed and has been running fine with it disabled for the last 20,000km or so.

i think its there to increase egr by blocking off half the air and running on one intake will help mix the egr with the air as it goes into the cylinder. it only operates when engine is hot (which is when egr is on) and up to 1700 rpm (i think). main butterfly operates up to 3000rpm.

As u can see, Tweak says the EGR only operates when hot so there must be some tempurature sensor.

IF we could just disable that, then theres no need to do the whole EGR Mod as explained in this thread?

I havnt read the whole thread as its over 11 pages long haha.

sorry to bother if someone has already covered this

can't disable temp sensor. its not a separate temp sensor for egr, its all controlled the main ecu and temp sensor plays a part in fuel injection and timing.

ah that sux.

mayb only disable the cables that start the EGR? well i dunno, uv guys prolly already thought of it and found that the only way to do it is block butterfly mod.

im doing it right now, just beated a 2mm galv sheet flat and about to cut it out and do the pipes. i dont need to buy anything for the tubes right? cause all i got is the blanking plate lol.

mayb i should read the thread

read the thread ;)

don't need anything for the butterfly mod. you can't just unplug it as the shutdown butterfly won't work. the actual changing over the vac tubes is simply to make the shutdown butterfly continue to work

what the ?

why would someone tell me to change the Vac Tubes over for then?

Iv blocked the EGR, re-piped the Vac Tubes but left the plug connected.

so did i do what i was meant to do? lol

Simon

Great, and what should i be expecting besides a cleaner engine?
damn it was dirty! mayb when im bothered il pull that pipe out and clean it along with my intake.

Simon

Hey all did this over the weekend left the swirl pluged in though. Doesn't seem to matter either way

One of the photos says to use a gasket on the inlet side of the plate.
I just used a 2mm SS plate on its own. It doesn't seem to be leaking.

If its best to put a gasket in what do I need to use, obviously it needs to handle high temps

i used existing gasket on the inlet side and nothing on the exhaust side of the gasket. never had a leak.

On mine, I used Permatex Ultra Blue sensor-safe gasket maker. Spread about a half-mm thick around the outside of where the hole should have been (on both sides) and installed.

If the exhaust leaks out there's a problem.

If the EGR valve opens and the boost pressure leaks out there's a problem.

Use the good stuff, do it ONCE and do it RIGHT and never bother with it again.

**copied over from the EGR super thread, seems to be more interest & relevence here**

I did mine yesturday with a small plate of 2.5mm steel. the steel plate is on the inlet side and doesn't leak (yet).

i've noticed the car is quite a lot quieter with much better throttle response and i can even accelerate up a hill in 5th that i normally had to change down into 4th to climb. havent noticed too much change to getting off the line, unless you sink teh boot. then it hardley bogs down at all. overall it seems similar but with many small differences that make it well worth while.

so based on that, I definitely recommended.

here are some pics i took after making the plate.

my plate & the standard EGR gasket.

blanking_plate_thickness_.JPG

EGR Gasket width

EGR_Gasket_-_side_on.JPG

EGR Gasket length

EGR_Gasket_-_length.JPG

My handy work - works great.

EGR_Gasket_blanking_plate.JPG

hope these come in useful.

I did the swirl mod today after the EGR was completed on the weekend.
Whilst I didn't notice a big performance improvement I did notice that when I release the clutch there is no longer a big surge before the motor settles. Off the line it's a more gradual delivery of power which is very helpful in traffic.

FYI
swirl valve is only on under ~1700rpm (memory is a bit rusty) so when disabled you will only get improvement under that rpm.
egr butterfly is on only under 3000rpm.

Which explains what I felt tweak.
I do love that delivery now as I don't use throttle when letting the clutch out and with all the work I do in traffic it's much more easier to move off in a linear fashion.

Last edited:
Does anyboady do this mod/or have this mod on the sunshine coast not keen toi do it by my self

Latest posts

Back