2013 Navara D40 ST

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussiekilt

Reaction score
'm looking at buying a new 2013 D40 ST in manual. I've been searching all day for info on problems related to the D40 and can only find problems related to 2010 models and earlier. Does the D40 still have issues with the Dual-mass flywheel, timing chain issues, and the loss of power issue? I can't find anything on issues for 2011 onwards. The nissan dealership told me there were not issues with the Dual-mass flywheel since the MY10.

Thank you for any advise help in this area.

It does seem that allot of the problems from older models have been sorted, one of the members on here who works at a nissan dealer in the service department said the other day he hasnt seen any major problems in any of the late model D40's in over 12months.
He must be somewhat satisfied with the improvements as he just traded in much loved D22 in on a 2013 D40 ST, and thats after saying a couple of years ago he wouldnt buy one.

I've know done 58k in my St that i bought last november and have not had any problems,
(touch wood)

i've done 35,000km now, bought it july last year, only issue has been a faulty map sensor, apparently a bad batch from the factory, and i had a batch of water/fuel go through it, a rather expensive fix but not the cars fault.
other than that it's been fantastic.

Thank you both for your feedback. I was told by a mechanic that the Navara has a week chassis and he is aware of them bending their chassis. Have you heard of this problem?

all the brands of utes are the same, there's plenty off info and photo's on the internet. come down to loading and how you set your suspension up(airbags in conjunction with leaf springs are the biggest chassis bender)!

I know from experience that the Thai built models (currently RX and king cabs, ect) have slightly thinner gauge steel in their chassis compared to the spain models (currently ST and STX550)
Having said that the only time i have seen any problems has been with people either using air bag suspension incorrectly and over loading the car OR towing into colvets or course-ways with way too much speed, NOW this is not just a problem for the D40 but many others inc the Triton and the good old Hilux.
Somewhere on this site there is a thread with a few pics of different makes all with bent rear sections of their chassis.

Can anyone tell me what seems to be the main cause of the 'safe mode'/loss or power problem, I have seen that as a problem quiet a bit too. Is it more an issue with earlier models, or is it still an issue with later models?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I get all the info before buying a new car.

The ECU is designed that if any of the sensors read anomalies to put the engine into limp mode to try and save it from catastrophic failure.
In most cases (but not 100%) again some of the earlier models with automatic box's had a DPF and i some cases it caused issues and in other cases when people tried to run after market exhausts and remove the DPF it caused problems.
Other models had issues with the SCV(suction control valve) which did a few strange things one of which was to throw error codes up and go into limp mode.

As for the 2012 and some early 2013's there was a bad batch of exhaust gas temp sensors that nissan are currently doing a recall on which also caused limp mode in SOME cars, me personally am not one of them although it is booked in for the sensor to be replaced as a precaution and as apart of the recall.

There can be many other reasons for this but not many of them are consistent in every car and most are from owner issues like bad fuel, eg if you get water in the fuel the ECU should pick that up via the sensor attached to the fuel filter and then it will go into limp mode

Last edited:
there seems to be an issue with water in the fuel in Aus, what preventative measures can be taken to stop this from effecting the engine? Does the fuel filter pick it up, and then it is a simple process of emptying it out of the fuel filter?

there seems to be an issue with water in the fuel in Aus, what preventative measures can be taken to stop this from effecting the engine? Does the fuel filter pick it up, and then it is a simple process of emptying it out of the fuel filter?

In some cases the standard system will work fine and emptying it or replacing it is all that is needed , but if you are concerned there are a number of options as far as pre filters or pure water traps like "Water Watch" and the one that i ran on my last D40 was the "Fuel Manager 100"

here is a link to my DIY install, it has picks so you can see what it all looks like.
http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=13269

Having said that personally in the last 500,000km of using diesel from reputable servo's i have only once while in the ACT have had the car go into limp mode and had to drain it prior to scheduled service and that was in my D22 about 3 years ago.
I have not yet installed the "Fuel Manager 100" into my latest D40 and havent had any issues, although i have heard and personally know of others that have had bad fuel, my cousin being one and it stuffed his injectors and fuel rail costing him $6500, its lucky his fuel pump wasnt effected or he could of added another $4500 to that bill.

The good news is, if you have a good service history your insurance does cover and has covered accidental fuel contamination damage.

Bending chassis mainly caused by incorrectly or over loading. You see it more on leaf sprung utes with over inflated HELPER air bags. As said Google duel cab bent chassis and see what comes up.

i was lucky with my water issue, it didn't go into limp mode but a red engine light did come up on the dash, rang nissan and got it picked up on a flatbed, was in karijini national park at the time unfortunately though nissan roadside did cover the cost for me.
cost me almost a grand to get both filters changed and all the lines etc cleaned out.
Fuel was not from a servo, mate keeps a 40gallon drum at home for use on machinery etc and offered me a top up in exchange for coming along on the trip... last time i do that!
i'm not concerned with bending the chassis, i don't take heavy loads or use airbags so it won't be an issue for me.

i was lucky with my water issue, it didn't go into limp mode but a red engine light did come up on the dash, rang nissan and got it picked up on a flatbed, was in karijini national park at the time unfortunately though nissan roadside did cover the cost for me.
cost me almost a grand to get both filters changed and all the lines etc cleaned out.
Fuel was not from a servo, mate keeps a 40gallon drum at home for use on machinery etc and offered me a top up in exchange for coming along on the trip... last time i do that!
i'm not concerned with bending the chassis, i don't take heavy loads or use airbags so it won't be an issue for me.

Did you hit up your insurance company on that water in the fuel damage??
Because it doesnt matter how the water got in there as long as it was accidental and you were not aware that the fuel was contaminated, its considered an accident and you are covered for accidents in any full comprehensive insurance policy.

Did you hit up your insurance company on that water in the fuel damage??
Because it doesnt matter how the water got in there as long as it was accidental and you were not aware that the fuel was contaminated, its considered an accident and you are covered for accidents in any full comprehensive insurance policy.

we didn't try that actually, just copped it sweet, would probably be too late now, happened at least 6 months ago.

would insurance have covered it even after i'd paid?
i pretty much got it towed to a workshop in tom price and waited around until i could drive it back home, got home at 730 that night, was a long boring day lol.
benefit of hindsight i guess.

That I couldn't say, maybe you could question your insurance company?
But don't take no for an answer, as I said I had three different answers as to wether or not they even cover such damage and it wasn't until I spoke to someone up the ladder that they realised they do in fact cover accidental fuel contamination.

i sold my d40 st only 2 years old low km. maybe i been unlucky dont know but had the turbo solenoid replaced 4 times they are vacuum operated i hate that system when it starts making a noise. I had some shudder like a small vibration that no one could really sort it out the best answer i got these cars have soft rubbers underneath. i decided to cut my losses as my mate has a challenger so i got myself the triton glxr comes with rear diff lock only done few KM with it seems like it rides a bit harder but feels more firm and does not have that solenoid has its all electronic. I still like the navara maybe one day i will look at one again but not untill they get rid of that solenoid system. I think a 4x4 must be firm and hard from the start.

Latest posts

Back