2002 D22 Transmission noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammerhead

Reaction score
The old girl (160k) has just started to make a slight whine when coasting.

Happens in any gear and does not happen when under power.

You can repeat the noise any time by coasting, and at the same time you can feel increase vibration through the gear stick.

Difficult to isolate where the noise is coming from, suspect it is a bearing, but where.

Does not sound terminal at this stage, but would like to sort it sooner rather than later.

Any ideas?

Cheers and beers :cheers!:

The wheel bearings are probably the best place to start, easiest to test, and in the worst case can rule out.

Been having trouble just getting the time to jack her up and start checking, she may be an old girl, but lost when its off the road.

cheer and beers :cheers!:

An oldie but I goodie as they say mate. I got 540.000 out of my 89 d21 and only traded it as I needed a duel cab. The noise you describe sounds exactly like when my bearings went.160.00 is nothing for a well looked after rig, I still had original clutch and rear brakes. The old td27 did a mighty fine job despite the grunt compared to today.

Interesting comparison to us also, had a D21 Petrol which was disappointing engine wise, then a D21 TD27 which we kept for 11 years (great old girl that was, took it around oz, and it lived up in the North of W.A.), now the D22 which we have had for 12 years, know we should replace but with regular maintenance she's as good as new.
I honestly reckon the old girl is as good or better than the new dual cabs that are on the market, this one is made in Japan quality.
Shall jack her up over the next few weeks when I get a free day, and new bearings may be going in all round.

cheers and beers :cheers!:

Back