2.5TD stalling on start up

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chez

Reaction score
My navara has on 2 occasions now stalled out, has happened after being turned off and moments later started again, any ideas, is due for filters to be replaced in 2500km

How many kms have you got? Any chips fitted? And im assuming this happens when its hot...do you have a rough idle when cold ?

My mates was doing this (albeit on a D40) and it turned out to be the timing chain. Apparently newer YD25's have a sensor associated with the timing chain that tells the motor to turn itself off when the tensioner is too far gone.

I believe this is only on a cold start...was reading the yd25.com site the other day..think its only thai 126kw motors that do the check also.
My mates was doing this (albeit on a D40) and it turned out to be the timing chain. Apparently newer YD25's have a sensor associated with the timing chain that tells the motor to turn itself off when the tensioner is too far gone.

From my understanding the check engine lights up when sensor goes off. I was told by an old diesel mechanic to do a computer reset, haven't looked into it yet, but will be doing it asap. Have fuel filter to chuck into it tomorrow and well

From www.yd25.com.au

The computer in D40 vehicles with VIN MNT is programmed to check the correlation between the camshaft and the crankshaft and shuts the engine down within 5 seconds of cold start up when the fuel pump drive timing chain is worn however if the engine is hot (over 65 degrees C) then it will idle and not shut down. . To confirm that fuel pump timing chain wear is the problem, ensure the engine temp is below 65 deg, disconnect the camshaft sensor plug located on the cylinder head, left hand side rear, and restart the engine. If the engine does not shut down after 5 seconds then the fuel pump drive timing chain needs replacing.

In all other models VINs VSK MNT JN1, if the engine only runs for a short time at idle or if it only runs when the revs are kept over 1500 rpm then this is an indicator of serious wear to fuel pump drive timing chain, camshaft timing chain and guides. As there is no computer shut down in these models, the engine will run until the fuel pump drive timing chain breaks.

Back