'13 st d40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cala90

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Been looking for a dual cab for quite a while now and after everything I've researched it seems the D40 is the best value for money out of them all. I've been eyeing off a 2013 ST D40 for a while but can't seem to find any info on whether the timing chain issue was fixed before that year. What sort of prices would I expect to pay for a timing chain replacement if not? I've seen everything from $2,500-$13,000 from what I've researched..

I have searched but I can't find too much.

Cheers,
Matt

It was about 2010 when all the D40s were changed to use the 'Thai' timing chain. Between about '06 and '10 the Spain built trucks used a different part number chain. I don't believe we have seen any users with a 'snapped' Thai chain. One member here 'Iceman' had a noisy Thai chain, but no engine damage as a result.

Is the '13 D40 Thai or Spain model ? I believe the Thai engine also has a couple of sensors that check for chain stretch.

I've had my 2013 D40 ST since new with 0 problems. Just did my 40k service over the weekend. Just do the normal pre-purchase checks you would for any car and make sure it was well maintained.

Thanks for the info guys. I believe it's a Spanish model. So either way, Spanish or Thai it will still have the upgraded chain from 2010 onwards?

Thanks again!

I wouldn't trust a Thai chain any more than the previous one. It may be of better quality but it is still a single row chain driving the fuel pump, vacuum pump and then the duplex chain driving the camshafts. A quality duplex conversion is the only way to have piece of mind unless you are prepared to do inspections of the lower chain at every service.

Bear in mind the duplex setup is what the YD25 engine originally had in the early D22 which had no issues with chain stretch.

Don't be lulled into a false sense of security. Changing the chain early is a lot cheaper than fixing a blown engine.

Latest posts

Back