Go Back   The Navara Forum > D22 > D22 General Chat

Old 09-08-2014, 08:34 AM

My Mood:
Garage

Yeah all those battery trays are small though, you'll likely only fir 65ish AH batteries there, I was hoping to fit a 100 AH.

So I think my option will be to use to front space as it allows the area for 100AH battery, and then if I want a cooler it will have to be a top mount job from cross country (Probs works better than the FMIC as there is a heap less piping to turbo lag is reduced).

However maybe a cheaper option than using a cooler, it would be to get some steel mesh and wedge it in the intake pipe after the turbo on top of the engine where is splits in two, so that in the event the compressor wheel does let go the steel mesh could catch it. Not sure where I would find steel mesh thin enough to not impede airflow too much and also be strong enough to stop any debris going into the engine.

Is this a good idea or am I crazy?
Sponsored Links

Old 09-08-2014, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Could always chuck a water to air setup on it instead.... Or make your own top mount from the smaller ones you can get on eBay. I wouldn't be sticking stuff inside the intake piping in case it comes loose in normal driving and wrecks your motor anyway....

Old 09-08-2014, 10:48 PM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty4655 View Post
Yeah all those battery trays are small though, you'll likely only fir 65ish AH batteries there, I was hoping to fit a 100 AH.

So I think my option will be to use to front space as it allows the area for 100AH battery, and then if I want a cooler it will have to be a top mount job from cross country (Probs works better than the FMIC as there is a heap less piping to turbo lag is reduced).

However maybe a cheaper option than using a cooler, it would be to get some steel mesh and wedge it in the intake pipe after the turbo on top of the engine where is splits in two, so that in the event the compressor wheel does let go the steel mesh could catch it. Not sure where I would find steel mesh thin enough to not impede airflow too much and also be strong enough to stop any debris going into the engine.

Is this a good idea or am I crazy?

Is there some way of measuring turbo lag? I haven't noticed any decrease in performance since I put the forefront intercooler on, in fact it seems like I'm changing gears slightly faster (ie rpm's reaching 2500 quicker) but that could be just me...

As bods says I reckon the risk is too high sticking stuff in the inlet pipe...

Old 10-08-2014, 12:06 AM
Advanced Member

My Mood:
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Gonzo

I have noticed an increase in turbo lag and intake noise since fitting my front mount not a huge issue but I am impressed by the reduced EGT

Just a D22 I can't afford a crap one !

cheers Steve

Old 10-08-2014, 04:37 AM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
I have noticed an increase in turbo lag and intake noise since fitting my front mount not a huge issue but I am impressed by the reduced EGT
Yeah the noise is certainly much louder. Is that just because the prefilter has been removed? Or is the noise from the extra pipework etc?

Tags
dual battery, engine, intercooler, setup.