Go Back   The Navara Forum > D40 > D40 Engine

Old 29-01-2018, 11:06 AM

Took it for a good drive today. Included some off road fun, nothing too far off the beaten path just in case. It played up from time to time, but I was able to ‘drive around it’ mostly.

Then after about and hour of driving we got back onto the main road I gave it a boot full in third to get past the missfiring and it gave a little backfire noise and went into limp mode and would rev again until I pulled over and shut off the engine. Funny thing though, since the ‘backfire’ it’s been back to normal, so seems to be fixed.

Still be interested I working out what went wrong though. Any hints?

The only thing I’ve done in the whole process is clean the MAF and i
nstall the EGR block. Haven’t had time for anything else yet.
Sponsored Links

Old 29-01-2018, 12:08 PM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

Still sounding like the SCV. Very typical symptoms. Fuel system cleaner (Liqui Moly) may improve the thing temporarily. It never hurts to use that stuff, chuck the whole can in the tank, you should see some results within 100-200km.

We went through a whole range of things with my car at one point, replaced the throttle body, replaced the throttle control and finally when we replaced the SCV the thing was fixed.

I still doubt it's the BCS because you said your car stalls, which means engine cuts out completely - a dead BCS won't do that, it'll just simply not boost any more, so the worst that will happen with a failing/failed BCS is a complete lack of power and tonnes of black smoke.

I call the SCV on the fuel pump. It's a pair of allen bolts and an electrical connector. If you have a hoist it's easier to get to from underneath.

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!

"Money can't buy happiness, but it does make misery a lot easier to deal with."

Old 01-02-2018, 07:49 AM

My Mood:
Garage

Someone can definately correct me if I'm wrong, but when the fuel filter is replaced, doesn't the ecu need resetting.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzie View Post
Someone can definately correct me if I'm wrong, but when the fuel filter is replaced, doesn't the ecu need resetting.

Possibly, but it had been running perfectly after the service for a couple of months.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old.Tony View Post
Still sounding like the SCV. Very typical symptoms. Fuel system cleaner (Liqui Moly) may improve the thing temporarily. It never hurts to use that stuff, chuck the whole can in the tank, you should see some results within 100-200km.

We went through a whole range of things with my car at one point, replaced the throttle body, replaced the throttle control and finally when we replaced the SCV the thing was fixed.

I still doubt it's the BCS because you said your car stalls, which means engine cuts out completely - a dead BCS won't do that, it'll just simply not boost any more, so the worst that will happen with a failing/failed BCS is a complete lack of power and tonnes of black smoke.

I call the SCV on the fuel pump. It's a pair of allen bolts and an electrical connector. If you have a hoist it's easier to get to from underneath.
Thanks. WHEN it reoccurs Iíll jump straight into the SCV then.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:17 AM
Advanced Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzie View Post
The ECU ajusts the fuel flow dependent on the restriction of the fuel filter. As the filter gets blocked it works harder to deliver the fuel. Fitting a new filter will see those values change and a reset is a good idea.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:46 AM
Advanced Member

The other thing is, the ecu may throw a high fuel pressure code or go into limp mode from high fuel pressure if the filter is very blocked and the ecu is not reset.

I'd be looking more and more at the scv with the issues you are having too.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:44 AM

Well, after a while of not making the time to fix the problem properly it’s back. Only now it’s added ‘hard to start’ as well. Winds over well, just takes a little while to kick and start. Day off on Thursday so it’s wrenchin time.

Old 08-11-2018, 04:13 AM

New SCV is in. This morning I was having a right old time trying to get the nav going. Nearly ran out of battery I wound it over that much. Something extra I noticed was that Welsh’i I went for the fuel prime pump bulb thingy there was moisture on it. Turned out to be fuel and when I got back home to replace the scv found it was dripping - a lot. New one ordered now, maybe there is some air getting into the fuel system that way as well.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

I was going to suggest having a look at the fuel filter. Excessive cranking on a cold start usually points to air getting in somewhere. Hopefully that sorts your problem out. Good luck.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk