New 2006 D22 Owner - Maintenance Advice

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph369

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've just bought a 2006 ST-R D22 S2 with 305,000km and would greatly appreciate any tips or advice on maintenance and any common issues to keep an eye on.

It's had 3 previous owners with a full service record, second owner installed a 110l steel fuel tank and a larger air box, and the guy i bought it off replaced the gearbox and clutch after having trouble going into 4th gear - done in the last 150,000ish km - he bought it with plans to go offroad, went on the sand once washed it straight after and never had time to go back out again so underneath has very little rust that i can see.

I've spent about a week researching and driving it and so far I've come across these concerns and questions:
1) ZD30: It's got the original 3litre ZD30 installed and from what I've seen they aren't exactly known for their durability, melted rods seems to be a common issue. How long have your guys' ZD30s lasted and what are some issues i can expect to happen in the near future, tips for preventing these problems would be great.
2) EGR delete: This is my first diesel ute, and my first car built this millenium. There's a lot of debate about whether or not to mess with EGRs and I'm on the fence about it. Better economy, less soot in the engine and better low-end performance are what I'm after but if melting pistons are an issue maybe an increase in engine temp isn't a great idea. What are your thoughts? Will i need to remap my ecm and if so, any advice on how to do so?
3) Workshop Manuals: I had a haynes workshop manual for my old 99 rzn147 and i loved it, was great to have everything in one spot and being able to physically have it with me during services was great. Haynes only makes a physical manual for the D40, I've found a pdf manual with a supplement for the 2004 and later models, however the original document has no mention of the ZD30 and the supplement is limited in detail about it. The only change in recommended fluids is a chart for oil viscosity, no volumes or anything. I'll be able to get by with it but if anyone knows of a more refined manual for the ZD30 or a physcial manual that would be great.
4) Rust Removal/Colour Codes: Only rust I've found was under a weather strip on the a pillar and between the front and rear doors. I've got decent experience with rust removal and know what needs to happen but if anyone knows a good rust converter product that isn't overpriced with poor results please leave a link. The engine plate doesn't have a colour code on it so I'm not 100% sure google is giving me the correct code, it is factory white paint if someone knows the code.

Cheers guys, If you can answer any of these questions I'd really appreciate it. Otherwise any other information, tips, links or whatever you believe may help, please send them through. Thanks in advance.

1) ZD30: It's got the original 3litre ZD30 installed and from what I've seen they aren't exactly known for their durability, melted rods seems to be a common issue. How long have your guys' ZD30s lasted and what are some issues i can expect to happen in the near future, tips for preventing these problems would be great.
it was the patrol and terrano that melted pistons. they had a higher output version and different turbo and control system.
navara don't seam to be to bad.
highly recommend fitting a good intercooler.

Will i need to remap my ecm and if so, any advice on how to do so?
remaps are difficult because they have a weird ecu. it requires unsoldering the chips and installing new ones. there is a thread or two on this.

3) Workshop Manuals:
one of the navara parts crowds has navara manuals for download.

Back