2023 Navara D23 (NP300) Steering Feels Like It's Clunking, Knocking And Going Through Notches. Safe To Drive?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2023D23NP300

Reaction score
I have a 2023 D23 NP300 with 20k kms on it, had it serviced by Nissan on the intervals of: 1k, 10k and 20k, basically brand new. Have had a few problems, mostly minor, like seatbelt creaks and gearbox randomly making a loud bang when shifting, none of which were fixed as the technicians stated they weren't major faults. Last week, I noticed the steering clunks and goes through notches when I'm turning at slow speeds, u turn or parking. Like when an X head screwdriver is too small for the screw, but it ever so slightly brushes and slips on the edges of the screw head. The more I turn, the more notches I feel it's clunking through.
Took it down to the Nissan service centre and was told the steering was 'Loose'... -Insert my raging silence. They'll order a steering rack of some sort and have told me to wait.... I've ordered seatbelt mechanisms 2-3 months ago, till now it hasn't arrived. A bud has a 2022 Pro-4X with faulty brakes which causes it to vibrate under braking, waited for a year until his new brakes arrived.
I kindly need help from anyone who may know or have gone through what this problem with my steering is, and most importantly, will it still be safe to drive?
In a month, this truck will be my daily. It's comforting to know if I can drive it as usual, or should take special care, as I constantly average 160-190kmh on freeways since my commutes are lengthy.
Thanks!

Tldr: Steering knocks when I turn, what's the cause? And because parts take a long time to arrive. Is it still safe to drive?

Bonus: As I was leaving after I was informed by the technicians of the issue, another NP300 rolled up and had the exact same complaint of the steering, we had a good laugh about it, so I guess it seems like a common issue of NP300s? But yet again, I've spent hours browsing through countless D23 forums and I still can't find anyone having this exact issue. So I've resorted to posting this. It would be really helpful for anyone to help me identify this problem. Thanks.

Back