ZD30 noise on cold start

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05d22

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm a new member, drive a 05 d22 with the zd30
Car has 242000k on it
So the problem I have noticed is there's a ticking noise coming from the engine on cold start which stops as soon as the oil light goes out 4 secs or so.
I have recently had the injection pump and timing chain replaced about 4000k ago.
The oils been changed since to what the car always ran on to rule that out.
Just at a loss because the noise was never there till recently.

Other issue the engine has at the moment which has been happening for about 20000k or so is that when I turn the engine off after driving for a while it's a rather rough shutdown. But if the car is started and moved and switched off (not driven for a long time) then engine shuts down smoothly.
The shutdown actuator is moving so any other thoughts would be great
Thanks

My 04 zd30 makes a ticking noise too on cold start up, pretty sure it is just chain noise under the oil pump pressurises and gets oil flowing hence why it quietens down after 3-4secs or so and when the oil pressure light goes out. Did you replace your timing chain for a reason? There is no service interval for the zd30 chain and it should last the life of the engine. Why did you replace the fuel pump?

Thanks for the response
The fuel pump was replaced as car became hard to start to not starting at all
And had the fault code for the injector pump
Everything was checked and turned out to be the pump work was done by diesel mechanic
Chain was replaced at the same time seeing as everything was apart.

Has yours always made the noise, mine does it also on a start up from after work not just on a cold morning
It's just strange because It never use to

I'm not sure to me honest as I have the car serviced ever 10k by my mechanic have never had an issue
It's just once injector pump was done a different oil was used which made the car noticeably louder on cold start and is when the noise developed I had the oil changed and engine quitend down on cold start but the ticking noise still remains until oil light goes off

I have an 03 D22 ZD30 have had this since 04 with 28th Km, now has 157,00km has always done what your saying on start cold start up...3-4sec them stops, only on cold start, never had any issues what so ever with the engine

i am currently having that noise for 2-3 secs but not all mornings maybe 5 a month and its because i used nissan genuine oil 5w30 as the manual says but it made the engine sound a lot more different, i can hear the valves the chain everything, i think i will go back to 15w40 as i have all those years seems getting a genuine oil wasnt that good an idea

Thanks guys, seems to sound like the noise is nothing to worry about, maybe the different oil brought on
Does anyone have any thoughts on the rough shutdown issue?
I was thinking potentially oil blow by causing it after driving for a longer period

^ lol. My 06 zd30 makes has a bit of a noise that last a few seconds on cold start. Only really noticed it the last month or so. Doesnt mean it was never there though.

Latest posts

Back