YD25: is it really a dog?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nakedape

Reaction score
So the wife wants to get a pathfinder - but I'm sus on the timing chain issues I've read about. So what's the consensus - is the 2.5 engine a time-bomb or have the issues been over-stated?

Get a Dmax
Or if it has to be a wagon get a Colorado SUV that's nearly as good as Dmax

All cars a time bombs, all cars issues are over stated especially on the internet, but the fact that so many YD's have been sold worldwide and so many are still on the road proves they can't be all that bad.

Get a Dmax
Or if it has to be a wagon get a Colorado SUV that's nearly as good as Dmax

All cars a time bombs, all cars issues are over stated especially on the internet, but the fact that so many YD's have been sold worldwide and so many are still on the road proves they can't be all that bad.

D-max? You're yanking my chain aren't you?

Factor a replacement timing chain into the price if it concerns you.

Thought of that - but by the time I negotiate that with the seller I may as well look at a different breed of bus.

get a prado with 1GRFE if you are worried about timing chains and shit going wrong, better off road compared with the pathy to, the factory fitted long range tanks make it awesome for touring to.

I'm leaning towards a Pajero. Prados look great, just a bit exy!

But the boss likes the Pathfinders -- so the more of you that can convey your horror stories the better.

I'd be getting the horror stories about some other brands then, supposedly the timing chain issue came from earlier vehicles, I have a ute that was done at 140000km. The motors tho are pretty punchy and economical, there is heaps of aftermarket acc and generally you'll find the money better too. Toyota gonna have a premium dollar on it but then you'll get more back when or if you sell it. Pajeros are pretty good but gonna cost more too. I'm on a family farm surrounded by tojos but I keep buying nissans and will continue too. Out performs in my eyes.

seems to be a matter of not if but when, some on here thinks its all BS (the ones with D40's) whatever helps you sleep at night I guess...

I researched this a while ago when I was thinking of buying a 4x4 wagon for my dogs, the prado seems to always come out the best all rounder as long as you don't get the diesel version, the 1KD is a nice engine when it works but prone to its fair share of issues. Like I said the 4.0 V6 in the prado is pretty much bullet proof, hundreds and thousands of them in tacoma's, hilux's and fortuner's all over the world, you can probably pick up a few year old v6 prado for around $30-32000 with sub 100000km. One other aspect to consider is diesel is nearly always more outlay at the purchase point, how long will it take you to recoupe those costs? especially if the timing chain shits itself you may never recover the costs.

Failing that a pajero would be my second choice, I never drove one myself but apparently the 3.2 non cr diesel was pretty good and pretty reliable.

The timing chains in the YD25 motor are definitely under-specced and should have been hy-vo chains (my opinion). You can get these as replacements from yd25.com.au (who also uses this forum). Doesn't mean it'll fail - 116,000km on mine and it's in perfect nick.

Whether it's the Pathfinder, a Hilux, Surf, Pajero, D-Max or any vehicle, it could be a perfect vehicle or it could be a lemon. There are more vehicles on the road than complaints about those vehicles - forums tend to attract more people that HAVE problems than people without and those without problems don't all say that their cars are running perfectly.

I've said it before - how many people jump on the forum and shout out "My car is running absolutely perfectly - someone help me fix it!!!"

Yep, all makes sense Tony. I'm just wondering if its a real fault (& that's why they're cheap at the minute) or if its a niggle just like every other make has?

My theory when buying cars is you have to like it, get something that excites you that much you want to be outside washing it, sitting in it, laying underneath it, servicing it n working in it. When you love and appreciate your car sure it really hurts if something goes wrong but you can also prevent little things from happening by a bit of TLC. Doesn't matter what brand just be happy when you sign the cheque coz you don't want to be disappointed.
One other weak point in most new fourbies is the shitty idea of dual mass flywheels n soft clutches. They're alright for the average use but lots of hard work n towing will deteriorate them quick. My old mans 05 hilux has had two clutches in and my d40 is about to get a outback extreme clutch.
I bought my d40 knowing all these things but since the day they were released i wanted one.

I'm sure that if you flog the shit out of it you can bend it real fast. I don't drive hard - we do a fair bit of towing, but I still take it fairly serenely.

I think Doc made a good point - factor in the cost of the chain. According to www.yd25.com.au it's a day's work on a D40/R51, it's just a shame they don't give a price for it.

I was quoted $900 for a full replacement. Not a YD25 kit, but the guy has done a few of them. That being said, labour prices here in Tassie are probably half what you are paying on the mainland. The kit I was quoted on only replaces the lower chain with double row, as the upper is fine.

$1750 for the kit plus a day's labour. Despite liking the look of the pathy & the boss just liking it all round, I'm not sure I want to be thinking timing chains right off the bat.

Do you see a pattern in what I'm saying?

It don't matter what you choose , their all going to have issues somewhere , i had a triton and was on the triton forums too , theres horror stories on all brands , be thankful to a point that most on here are pretty clever blokes , and your aware of all the issues these trucks have , so working around that shouldn't be a problem , hey if i wanted injector issues i would have brought a hilux . if i wanted rear spring . or cv issues i would have brought another triton they all have an Achilles heal somewhere , on that note , my work colleague has a pathfinder 2012 model and the turbo just disintegrated

yea tell your mrs the pathie is going to explode.

Like I said work out the overall costs, you might be surprised.

Anyone not accustomed to driving a turbo-engined vehicle could destroy the turbo easily. Take it out, flog the shit out of it and come to a sliding halt, flicking the ignition off as you swing the door open and yell "Whoop! Check out that parking skill!". Wait 10 minutes then repeat.

Before too long, ANY turbocharger is going to suffer from that sort of mistreatment. And Nissan don't make the turbos that go in the D40/R51s either - they're Garrett units. Same as you'd find on many, many other models (dunno about the Mahindrance or the Ssanwrong).

At least you're not being a complete brick and contemplating a Great Wall.

i agree , although i dont have a turbo timer , as a smoker lol i sort of do , ill never pull over and turn the thing off , i always jump out , have a smoke then shut it down , good for the turbo , crap for me

265000 ks on my yd25,never used a drop of oil or leaked any,always gets a 5 minute warm up and oil and filter every 10000,rarely gets flogged.
I'd buy another.

Back