Xr6 T intercooler for d22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D22Damo

Reaction score
Hey guys I want to grab a xr6 t intercooler and front mount it to my 2005 d22 but I'm not to sure what size to grab? Ba, bf or fg's intercooler? Also any tips and tricks would be very handy!

I would love to buy one because they look amazing and would do a great job but xr6 t ultimately do the same thing for a quarter of the price, one day I'll grab one if I haven't upgraded !

By the time you buy piping and silicone and stuff around it wont seem quite so cheap anymore. theres cutting involved too if you have a bullbar, doesnt seem to be any real elegant solution to it.
Try searching on here for the xr6 intercooler mod, people have done it before.

Or type navaraforum; xr6 intercooler into google

Hi rabbit, I've done a bit of research on it but I just can't find anything exactly, I hate annoying everyone with more posts but I just have so many things to learn and do :p

The thread rabbit is referring to is here http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=8920

I agree with rabbit once you add all the other costs of silicon, clamps, mounts yadayada, not to mention the added extra time in cutting modifying everything to fit. Even if you save $200 buying all the bits second hand/other places cheaper I would pay the extra purely for getting rid of the hassle of getting it all at one place and the forefront is easy to fit and I believe its provided with instructions, and requires no modification of structure/oem parts (don't hold me to that).

The only reason people used to use the XR6 cooler was because there was no decent price aftermarket cooler kits for the ZD30 (I have seen some upwards of $1500) and now for the price forefront does them I don't think anyone in their right mind would buy elsewhere.

I haven't got a cooler kit, but I have deduced this from reading other peoples experiences.

If it helps I have an XR6 intercooler and homemade brackets to suit a ZD30 that you can have for $50 +postage (or pickup western Sydney).

Kevin

i have a forefront intercooler kit.it is still sitting in the box it came in 6 months ago . the brackets and mounting points they supply just arnt up to the job in my opinion . and the instructions tell you that the headlite will sqish the silicon hose when you refit it . WTF sqish the hose ?. but it doesnt say how long till it rubs through and creates a leak.

i spoke to the supplier when i ordered it . there was no mention of having to spend extra time and money above purchase price to fit it. and nothing was mentioned about hoses being squished.

Dude, try and nut out a DIY intercooler for yourself and you will find that squishing a silicon hose past the headlight is the only way bar cutting holes in sheet metal or running a body lift and going underneath.
And to the OP i dont know why the XR6 unit is the favorable option for a DIY FMIC. I think maybe one guy did it on here with what he had lying around, then a few others decided to copy him.
You really want a cooler that has same side in/out, otherwise you are running another pipe the whole length of the cooler for nothing.

i would have thort that the time and effort that went into designing this setup that a moulded hose or something would be used to go through headlight gap . not just squishing a hose to fit .

I used a die grinder to enlarge the hole.
Some info in my thread in the diy section.
I ended up doing away with front mount and went top mount for more under bonnet space.

the hose is infact moulded to go behind the headlight bert....and only gets squished a tiny amount

no extra money needs to be spent fitting the kit....the 3 strong mild steel brackets are enough to hold a 4-5kg intercooler no problem at all...about 100 sold and nothing but great reviews including the ones i fitted in no time at all with my own hands

my kit is the only one that doesnt require holes to be drilled in structural body parts or a lift kit to be fitted

at the end of the day its making the absolute best of a bad situation....do you research into every other kit on the market and im sure you will find tons of faults in theirs ...except at the end you will have a bill for TWICE the amount my kit cost you.

theres probably 50 ways i thought about designing the kit...but then people would have whinged about having to cut holes....then they wouldnt be happy with the length of cooler piping....or that the pipe goes too close to the wheel.....or the shape of the inlet to cooler....or the width of the core ....or that they had the install a body lift.....the list goes on

Very true forefront, you did what you thought was best and so far it's worked very well! Can't please everyone unfortunately

I put one of the Forefront Industries intercooler kits in today and the bad points that i found were that.

-The hose clamps seemed of poor quality.

-Top mounting bracket didnt fit and needed considerable spacing out to get the cooler to clear the thermo fan(knobby bit that sticks out).

-No washers for the mounting bracket bolts.

Looking at the layout it is understandable the difficulties with trying to engineer it.If those small QC issues were rectified it would make a good kit a great kit as it was very easy to install ,but overall im very happy with it and have no problem with it at all and will be buying some of the other stuff avaliable from him.

I appreciate the comments and will put a plan together to fix those issues mentioned.. I like the clamps personally compared to others ive used

Regarding the top mount ive had a couple of people saying they had to cut the knobby part off the fan (no big deal) but in all the kits ive fitted I havnt had to do it...so bit confused there?

Regarding washers for cooler bolts I cant believe I missed that!!! And Ill include them in all the kits from now onwards

Latest posts

Back