Which compressor????

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ht307

Reaction score
Hi all. I am looking for an air compressor for the 4wd. Any suggestions / advice on brands? I have seen an ARB one for $340, Bushranger black max for $229 and Ironman flowmax for $160. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I'd go the ARB, bit more money but a bloody reliable little unit. Well designed and ready to go for setting up diff lockers. I don't know what the installation instructions are like for the others but the ARB was easy to follow and wasn't too hard to install yourself. I only use mine for tyre inflation at the moment and it whips my mates units from other manufacturers in terms of flow rate.

The ironman seams good value - 3 year warranty and still 72 l/min, thermal overload and 150psi max. Googs says the ARB is good and they do make a good product but on price the ironman appears very good value.

I've got the Bushranger Black Max and i think it's bloody good. cant remember the stats of it off the top of my head, but it pumped my 265/75s up faster than a friends compressor with higher flow per min with standard pajero tyres. i love it.

I've got the Projecta Typhoon. It's a dual piston compressor which I reckon will flog nearly all of the single piston models. It's got a thermal overload cutoff, but so far it's never kicked in. I've inflated my tyres from 18 PSI to 40 PSI twice over and it still keeps on running - inflates very quickly too! Think I paid $170 inc. postage on eBay. I highly recommend this unit!

i recommend getting the Boss PX-07 12v 3/4 hp fan cooled motor, 100% duty cycle, 170ltr free flow will destroy all 12v compressors i paid $390 for mine

I've got the Projecta Typhoon. It's a dual piston compressor which I reckon will flog nearly all of the single piston models. It's got a thermal overload cutoff, but so far it's never kicked in. I've inflated my tyres from 18 PSI to 40 PSI twice over and it still keeps on running - inflates very quickly too! Think I paid $170 inc. postage on eBay. I highly recommend this unit!

these projecta compressors are only good for light work they wear out far to fast mine lasted 6 month with heavy use.

these projecta compressors are only good for light work they wear out far to fast mine lasted 6 month with heavy use.

the projecta dual head and all the other Chinese models that are much the same thing, at best only match the ARB in air flow (the 150l/min is just BS). most are less including the projecta typhoon. also they do not handle high pressure so they are only really good for blowing up tires (ie less than 80psi).

the typhoon does ok, but i had to modify mine as the outlet was getting way to hot. they have a very tight restriction where the two head outlets connect together.
by the time you fix that, fix the crap wiring they have, its nearly cost you the price of an ARB and the ARB is a far better setup

the projecta dual head and all the other Chinese models that are much the same thing, at best only match the ARB in air flow (the 150l/min is just BS). most are less including the projecta typhoon. also they do not handle high pressure so they are only really good for blowing up tires (ie less than 80psi).

the typhoon does ok, but i had to modify mine as the outlet was getting way to hot. they have a very tight restriction where the two head outlets connect together.
by the time you fix that, fix the crap wiring they have, its nearly cost you the price of an ARB and the ARB is a far better setup

Well i've had mine since November 2009 and had no problems at all. Yes the outlet gets bloody hot after inflating, but the unit has never let me down. I only use it for tyre inflation, so for the money it works a treat. If I was installing an onboard tank so I could use air-powered tools, etc, then i'd look elsewhere. I also believe the Projecta model is much better made than the eBay chinese models which i've been told get too hot to inflate four tyres in a row without the thermal cut off kicking in.

typhoonfin1.jpg

runs much cooler with this mod. the main thing was to make the T section much bigger. the extra pipe is just to help keep the hose cool. mine was getting so hot it almost burnt your hand when you went to unplug the hose.

the typhoon is not that all that different to the many different brands they are under.

most of us only inflate tyres with them once in a while,and i would rather buy 4 at $99. each then pay $400 for one only.from a ripoff like arb.

most of us only inflate tyres with them once in a while,and i would rather buy 4 at $99. each then pay $400 for one only.from a ripoff like arb.

Yeah, but you can't buy any of those cheapo's out the middle of nowhere when you need to.
Ya get what ya pay for.

TJM - does all I need and @ $220 was a nice compromise between ARB/ BlueTongue & cheap Chinese shite.

Used mine to inflate all 4 tyres from 16psi without any dramas.

N

Just scored an arb for my birthday (sweet!), also came with the gauge, I used that to deflate my tyre to 10psi, now waiting for the rain to stop so I can pump it back up, Fuk I'm excited haha!
Anyone tell me how long an arb tyre deflator takes to deflate a tyre? Think I'll just use the gauge. If it's heaps quicker might take it back and swap it but the gauge is pretty sweet and it's from the missus too ;-)

Latest posts

Back