Which alternator??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joffo81

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm after a bit of advice before I buy a new alternator for my D22. The stock 60Amp Hitachi unit (LR160-745B) is working fine but I'd like some more output before we do our trip to the cape later this year.
I believe the Hitachi alternator has some sort of clutch pulley mechanism. Is it important to replace it with another one with a clutch pulley or not??
My knowledge of what the clutch actually does is very limited!

I have found these two alternators on fleabay but I'm not sure which to buy (if either). They seem very cheap but have a 5 yr warranty. Has anyone bought one of these and if so, are you happy or otherwise with it!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Diesel-C...Model:Navara|Plat_Gen:D22&hash=item4173a43744

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261221329974?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Hope the links work!

Hey Mate, I replaced mine with one of these in December and haven't had any issues. I've done a fair few k's since then too. I got the one with the normal pulley as that's what the original one was. They're a good price but I never trust the warranty offered on anything from ebay. If you're old one is fine take it with you as a spare.

Thanks for the feedback Steve. I definitely agree about the warranty which is why I wanted to hear about people's real world experiences!
My Nav is also an 2006 D22 so maybe I was wrong and I need the alternator without the clutch. Can anyone else shed some light on the topic?

Hey mate. I replaced my alternator mid last year with a heavy duty 100 amp one off eBay and have had no trouble at all. I couldn't go past the 5 year replacement warranty and the price of it. But as Steve said, I don't know how true the warranty is. I have done about 8000km's with it. QD32.

Hello Joffo81,

I've got a good quality d22 alternator brand new and in the box, (fairly sure its an hitachi 110amp) let me know if you are sorted out yet or still looking, if interested i can send you specs of it when i have been and looked at the box, just let me know.

Let us know what you come up with mate, as Im interested in doing this too but am not sure which one is needed.

I am still confused as to whether my 06 ZD30 alternator has a clutch mechanism or not and whether it must be replaced with an alternator with a clutch mechanism or not.

Is there an easy way to tell whether my alternator has a clutch pulley?

I'm sure someone knows more about it than me!

Doesn't look like it has a clutch.

Attachments

• alternator 1.JPG
    alternator 1.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 157
  • alternator 2.JPG
    alternator 2.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 163
all zd30 have clutched alternator. its built into the front pulley. its an expensive little thing.
its there to extend the life of the belt.

had mine replaced a while back, along with new brushes and bearings.

I replaced mine with the one in your top eBay ad with the clutch pulley as my original alt had a clutch pulley.all seems to be working fine.

Latest posts

Back