When to change gears?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottm

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I've done a bit of reading etc with mixed results so I thought I'd ask here. I have an intercooled 2002 d22 Navara (zd30), I'm about to add a canopy and set of drawers, followed by a Dp chip and boost tee.

I'm really keen to measure the performance before and after these mods so I have a gtech rr http://www.gtechpro.com/rr_fanatic.html which will give me some decent data but I don't really know the optimum revs to change gears. I usually drive like my grandma and by the sound, but can anybody tell me specifically wen I should be shifting up gears for optimum power / efficiency (not sure if this is a contradiction)?

Once I know this I can have a decent crack at driving the same way each time and having data that makes sense. This is the poor mans dyno I guess :)

Thanks in advance,

-scott

I change between 2500 - 3000rpm but generally go by noise not tacho.
Forefront turbo, 3" zorst with cat. ZD30

Yeah 2500 for me unless I need to get up to speed quick then I will let 2nd and 3rd rev out to 3000.

Chipped, boosted, 3" exhaust, W2A intercooler

2500 - 3000rpm. I have always driven by sound. Only time I ever really go over 3000rpm is when I get a run up for inclines on the freeway and when I've got road rage and rev the shit out of it to overtake.

Yeah, pretty much the same for me. I change out of first as soon as the car has a bit of momentum (probably lees than 2000) then 2nd to 3rd between 2000 & 2500. 3rd to 4th at 2500 then changing up to 5th I let it rev out to around 3000 especially if I have a bit of weight on, towing or going up an incline. As I have noticed that when I change into 5th at lower revs and have to plant my foot to get up momentum, that's when the EGT's go up quickly (i.e. wide open throttle and engine labouring).

Hi all,

So I've done a bit of reading etc with mixed results so I thought I'd ask here. I have an intercooled 2002 d22 Navara (zd30), I'm about to add a canopy and set of drawers, followed by a Dp chip and boost tee.

I'm really keen to measure the performance before and after these mods so I have a gtech rr http://www.gtechpro.com/rr_fanatic.html which will give me some decent data but I don't really know the optimum revs to change gears. I usually drive like my grandma and by the sound, but can anybody tell me specifically wen I should be shifting up gears for optimum power / efficiency (not sure if this is a contradiction)?

Once I know this I can have a decent crack at driving the same way each time and having data that makes sense. This is the poor mans dyno I guess :)

Thanks in advance,

-scott
ha ha the motor tells ya dude give it enuff berries to get going and change in the sweet spot easy peesy

Ya, 2500rpm usually , unless Im next to a hilux, then it gets redlined, I still loose though.

Hahahahaha ^^^^^^^^this guy. Those VNT common rails really move off the mark. Makes me consider fitting one to my 22

Latest posts

Back