What the F$#k is the world coming to?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPMC

Reaction score
What is with all the PC rules and regulations regarding safety gear coming to?

I wear high vis shirts for work. See attached picture for a sample of what I wear. Pretty common work attire on both sides of the Tasman for people in the construction/earthmoving/trucking etc industries.
K54860_YN.jpg

Anyway my grip is this morning I was out doing a repair on a road works site when this health and safety officer came over and asked me to either put on a high vis vest or leave the site. I politely showed him that my shirt is high vis and he said yes I see that but it doesn't have a tail. (For those that don't know most (but not all) high vis vests have a flap that hangs lower at the back)
For F%$ks sake, what difference does a tail make except in my opinion become more of a hazard? Everybody knows when working around moving equipment and machinery you are not to wear loose clothing yet you want me to wear something with a tail (although they are not big tails) just waiting to get caught on something as I climb off the machine.

So many things are just getting to ridiculous as far as health and safety goes.

Ok gipe over.

Last edited:
This is a product of two things I believe 1. to many law suits against companies for people just being retarded and getting themselves injured due to lack of common sense (hence the companies having to do everything possible to show they protect their workers and mitigate this risk). By nature construction attracts alot of idiots, the guys who were deadshits at school ect and couldn't get any other job bar digging holes and laying bricks ect for a living.

Number 2. Also combine that with companies employing university graduates to come up with plans on how to protect said workers and probably 99% of them would have never set foot on a construction site so have nfi how things as simple as that tail thing you were talking about could impact someone.

Then at the other end of the spectrum I have read many times about site foremen who just don't give a **** about unsafe working conditions.

Do the words fcuk off mean anything to the bloke, vests are good for site visitors who arn,t touching anything, as you said there not safe around moving machinery,

Yeah I come across both ends of the spectrum in my line of work. From sites you can't even fart on with written permission to sites your can walk around naked with your eyes shut.

Luckily most of my customers/sites use a common sense approach and only a few are really strict and high strung.

Just Untuck your shirt! Haha

I can sympathize mate, middle of summer and the companies HO decided its mandatory for everyone aus wide on their sites to wear long shelves and pants, to prevent cuts and abrasions....
Wasn't long before no work was getting done and the foreman to abolish it

Yeah we have that over here on some sites too except they say it's to stop skin cancer from sun burn. (Some sites you can't have reflective tape going vertical over the shoulders as the reflection can cause sun burn on the bottom and back of the ear lobs).
Then as you said they wonder why productivity goes down on hot days!

I wear hi vis too.
We started with the orange or green shirt.
The some 'we must do this properly to make ME look important fcuk' comes up with, "we MUST have the reflective strips on the shirt."
So we had to wear the vest over the top. Don't worry about heat exhaustion.
They order shirts with the strips, then someone pointed out to said self important fcuk that we get sunburned under the face from the reflection off the over shoulder strip.
Let's order shirts without the over shoulder strips.
You cock......
Oh, the shirts bottom half is dark blue the same as pants, which have to be long for sun protection so they now need reflective strips too.
Should be in the hi vis business I think.

Its mostly some self important dicks building themselves an empire or trying to secure their own position. Then there are the litigious fcuks mentioned above :screwy:

To standout from all the high vis everyone wears nowadays (& not get lost in it all) I wear black :D

I work fire rescue recovery at racetracks and we all wear race suits to stay warm shall we say. We had some ****tard at the Summernats tell us to wear Hi Vis vests over the top of our race suits as well as wearing plastic wrist bands. He was told in no uncertain terms to flock off. He wanted Hi Vis then he could employ a different team as I wasnt about to shrink wrap my crew in case of a fire .Yup he went away to annoy someone else

WH&S to stop ****tards from Death. Whatever happened to natural attrition lol

Back when I used to delivery bread working 10pm to 10am 6 days a week we used to have to wear HiVis and for good reason, expect that the only shirts the parent company would supply us with to adhere to their OH&S rules were day rated HiVis gear. Apparently we weren't in danger for the majority of our shifts, only once daylight broke.

I don't mind wearing it but if ya ask me HiVis is so over done with everyone wearing it now days you don't even blink an eye at it unless it's jogging down the road with giggly bits in the right spot if you know what I mean.:girl:

It's the same as flashing lights/beacons, every second vehicle has them these days and you get that used to seeing them they don't have the same stand out factor they used too.

To standout from all the high vis everyone wears nowadays (& not get lost in it all) I wear black :D

Occasionally in some of my contracts I'd get down the the warehouse floor. One day it struck me, these orange safety vests were just camouflaging people against a wall of brownish cardboard boxes.

I don't mind wearing it but if ya ask me HiVis is so over done with everyone wearing it now days you don't even blink an eye at it unless it's jogging down the road with giggly bits in the right spot if you know what I mean.:girl:

It's the same as flashing lights/beacons, every second vehicle has them these days and you get that used to seeing them they don't have the same stand out factor they used too.

You'll need a light on your hat/helmet and soft bumpers on all your trucks soon.

What I saw today takes the cake but -- ADF personnel, in combat camo gear, with reflective stripes :confused2: FFS!

I don't believe this. If you REALLY want to be seen, dress like Jason's avatar.

Bet there'd not be a single person on a mining site that would miss ya then!

Oh, you can get them in Thailand - dunno how much they cost but imagine how much fun you could have with them and not get slapped!

I don't believe this. If you REALLY want to be seen, dress like Jason's avatar.

Bet there'd not be a single person on a mining site that would miss ya then!

Oh, you can get them in Thailand - dunno how much they cost but imagine how much fun you could have with them and not get slapped!

Might not get missed but probably cause a few accidents. LOL

i work for a multinational company in heavy manufacturing
they spend millions on wages for there safety officers to walk around busting people and sacking them for not having earplugs inserted correctly
millions on so called employee education,have you been "zipped"? (ZeroInjuryProcess):wristy:
but they wont spend the millions needed to repair/replace fcked machinery that causes most of our injuries
always reactive
never proactive
end rant

Last edited:
i work on an airport and the conclusion we have come to is that the fastest way to be seen is to not wear high viz, they can spot you from miles away

Yeah but all jokes aside there are good things about HiVis gear.....

...it's much easier to hunt down a person at night for pay back when they are wearing glow in the dark socks.

The hivis socks are what really shit me. What the **** do you need hivis socks for? Just in case you fall head first into a trench and the only thing they can see is your feet. The best thing hivis is for is spitting blokes who are off somewhere they shouldn't be having a bludge

Latest posts

Back