Wastegate Creep: How to say goodbye to lag forever!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtturbo

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I know most of you think that D22s 'run enough boost' and henceforth don't require a boost controller... YOU ARE WRONG.

While additional boost wont yield any massive gains, a properly designed boost controller does much more than just increase boost.

It seems to be a little known fact amongst diesel circles that non ecu controlled turbos like the one fitted to the D22 YD25 suffer a problem called wastegate creep. Wastegate creep is when your turbo's wastegate starts to open before full boost is achieved, thus lengthening the time, or lag, required to achieve full boost / power.

I was curious to fins out how much of an issue it was with the IHI turbo so I fitted a turbosmart style manual boost controller; I am not exaggerating when I say my nav is literally a new car... The turbo is at least twice as responsive and that horrible first gear syndrome is gone...

Definitely a highly recommended mod, takes about 10 minutes and you'll be blown away. Just make sure you have a boost gauge first, and preferably an EGT.

Nice job. Did you get one with an in cab controller or just a simple tee in the wastegate line? Is your boost gauge running off the wastegate line or somewhere else off the intake system?

Hey Guys,

I know most of you think that D22s 'run enough boost' and henceforth don't require a boost controller... YOU ARE WRONG.

While additional boost wont yield any massive gains, a properly designed boost controller does much more than just increase boost.

It seems to be a little known fact amongst diesel circles that non ecu controlled turbos like the one fitted to the D22 YD25 suffer a problem called wastegate creep. Wastegate creep is when your turbo's wastegate starts to open before full boost is achieved, thus lengthening the time, or lag, required to achieve full boost / power.

I was curious to fins out how much of an issue it was with the IHI turbo so I fitted a turbosmart style manual boost controller; I am not exaggerating when I say my nav is literally a new car... The turbo is at least twice as responsive and that horrible first gear syndrome is gone...

Definitely a highly recommended mod, takes about 10 minutes and you'll be blown away. Just make sure you have a boost gauge first, and preferably an EGT.

good work. Does this apply to the zd30 and where can I find out more about it?

I just got a simple T style one, 'Drift' brand from Autobarn. Boost is taken from the cold side of the intercooler for the gauge (I tapped the side with a 1/8 BSP fitting).

Boost usually hits 20psi if I'm being spirited; factory is 15. I also put on a turbo timer too because even factory boost on a freeway is around 8psi and I get to work 500m after the exit!

8psi on the freeway? Holy crap, my gauge runs off the wastegate line and depending on weather conditions, wind, etc I run between 10 and 15 psi. Peak is around 17 if I get up it. Like I said, this is from the turbo itself, so I might look at that and see how much difference it makes. What's your economy like? Much different?

I'll let you know next week ;). I'm expecting that economy should improve slightly due to higher dynamic compression levels. That said, high boost isn't what you should aim for; running your turbo in its efficiency zone is; so I may find that 17psi out performs 22psi (that is only achieved by forcing all your exhaust thru the turbine).

Might be a silly question but do I need a chip to work in together with such mod ? As in a tuneing aspect of things or is it as simple as it sounds ?

As above, you don't need one, but if you want more power a chip and boost controller is the way to go. More fuel = more power, but more boost reduces egt's to make sure the engine doesn't grenade from running too hot...

As above, you don't need one, but if you want more power a chip and boost controller is the way to go. More fuel = more power, but more boost reduces egt's to make sure the engine doesn't grenade from running too hot...

What he said, so long as you don't push the little IHI out of its efficiency zone and end up with 30psi of hot air and restricted exhaust flow ;)

theres been a couple of people here fit boost controller to reduce wastegate creep with good results.
however use a ball spring boost controller. they work a lot better on diesels than bleed type.

theres been a couple of people here fit boost controller to reduce wastegate creep with good results.
however use a ball spring boost controller. they work a lot better on diesels than bleed type.

True, I have the 3 bar racing one, simple, cheap and accurate, have it set to open waste gate at 16 / 17psi. This combined with the egr block gives me relatively smoke free exhaust, even when I'm hoofing it.

Tweake is right....also known as a hold back valve once spring pressure is matched inside the valve it releases air to the gate actuator

not so much a boost controller as it wont raise boost but simply illiminates it by adding a spring pressure to overcome

I usually just get mine made up at a pneumatic shop

Latest posts

Back