Victorian Floods

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Krafty and Krankin are both down in that area, hope they're all okay. The D40 might be Krafty's, but Krankin doesn't drive a salon.

Hi, wrote this in another forum last night, but can go here also.
The last bit is in reply to the nutters in the city complaining that the rain (any rain) upsets their day.., and when will it stop.:rant:

Anyway, copped 70mm on Sat, ok here, little bit of driveway gone, nothing to cry about.
Lots of minor flooding in the lowlands and Dry Ck and Sunday Ck very high.
Best part is Sunday Ck storage is full, (our town supply).
Even better is that Lk Eildon to the NE which was about 24% in april is now at about 50% and filling at about 1% p/day.:dancing:
Bonnie Doon on the lake has not seen water for many many years is once again a lake :dancing:

06/09/2010

Thanks, all ok here despite the "welcomed" deluge. Up high on the Dividing Range so for the most part just loss of driveway material, though high winds dropping trees is more a problem.

Although cant say the same for what i saw today.
Had an Optus Microwave site blow a surge diverter so had a trip up to Milawa.
On the way up stopped in at Seymour, Goulburn River. Flooding almost up to the rear of the Royal Hotel/ hamburger shop which then would put the boat ramp and fishing platform under water.
North up the Hume from Seymour and across Hughes Crk still flowing high,
Seven Crks @ Euroa raging, Broken River @ Benalla flowing high with Benalla rd to Shep closed,
with all the waterways/crks in between having suffered high flows.
Then right into Snow Rd north of Glenrowan, low and behold an inland sea. Both sides flooded ( Fifteen Mile and One Mile crks) all the way to Whitfield Rd and flowing across road, then a few K's clear and into Oxley, King Rvr...epic! another sea then clear after Oxley and into Milawa.
Return trip in the arvo had to detour via Wang so drove along side the King river, Wang/Whitfield rd, was'nt looking good for Wang city.
Its hard to appreciate the situation on the the ground from the news coverage on Tv compared to actually being amongst it.
It is a sight to behold though.
EPIC.

I wont apologise for my wishes of flooding rains after a decade of punishing drought, but i do hope those directly affected good luck and a hopefully no great losses.

Sincerely,
Jim.

ending with,

Official Dorothea Mackellar Website :: Poetry Archive :: My Country

Cheers guys.

I'm not looking forward to the weather when we get back.I was in Benalla in the last floods 17 years ago with the CFA sand bagging and the like.They do say flood is worse than fire.You can controll a fire.(sometimes)With the exception of black saturday

Gippsland is a bloody big area, the floods down Bairnsdale way are only at minor flood levels I believe and are miles from me. The floods in Sale and Rosedale are closer but pretty much the same last I heard. We get a few swollen creeks around here and some roads become hard to cross but I don't think we've had many flood evacs in the last 30 years, areas further east have though. Still with the run off from the snowfields and further north most of the floods down here down happen until up to a week after the rains have stopped.

We've had quite a bit of rain up at the farm and all the tracks are slushy mud, there is trees down and a fair number of them fell across roads, both major and minor. We lost one portable pump, a bit of fire fighting gear, a small shed and some other equipment when one of the creeks came up too fast but thats about it for the flood damage. It's calving time on the farm and typical of cows they drop in the worst weather so we've had to move most of them into higher paddocks and the hay paddocks to keep them from digging the place up worse than it is. Still we've only had one calf die so in all we are no where near as bad as other parts of the state, although we don't really need it right now we can sustain a bit more rain in this area, most of the rest of the state can't.

I was only thinking about this the other day.

Good to know everyone is all good.

Dave.

we got flooded in, on my way home across one river crossing it wasnt to bad untill some tool couldnt wait for me to cross the water and started coming towards me. i didnt have anywhere to go but over to the side and off the road this resulted in dipping the air intake under (snorkel getting fitted in a month) and stopping me just out of the water. car stopped for about 30mins while i drained what i could, ended up starting again no worries and has been running fine ever since. is there anything i should be keeping a ear/eye out for? its going to the mechs next week for its 50k service.

The biggest problem with the engine taking a drink is a thing called "hydraulic lock". Fill a closed chamber with fluid and then try to compress it - it will only go so far before the fluid can't compress further and the mechanism trying to achieve the compression (your con rod) breaks.

Honda's old CBX1000 was famous for a manufactured means of doing it. Cylinders faced at a sharp forward angle, so the carburetors all had a significant downward angle on them. If you parked the bike and left the fuel tap on, sometimes the fuel would flow through the float chamber and trickle into the combustion chamber through an open valve. When you went to start it, BOOM.

You seem to have escaped that - hopefully there won't be any corrosion issues, so maybe you can just consider yourself lucky!

We live about 3km from the murray and it is hilarious to see the morons that didn't read the signs and now have their vehicles and caravans marooned on an island that they can't get off. (They're all safe, that's why it's funny.) I hope they like fishing.

Latest posts

Back