upgrading dizzy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobys

Reaction score
my 91 Z24 kingcab has points in the dizzy,is there an electronic later model unit that will slot into my motor,without any mods? thx in advance.

Have a look at the WD21 Pathfinder's. Some ran the twin spark engine though so no use to you. They may also have had the normal electronic dizzy's.

Dion should be able to answer this question.

Dave.

Dion should be able to answer this question.

When you say electronic dizzy, I assume you are after hall effect sensors in place of breaker points? Right now I'm struggling to think of a local market source for an electronic dizzy. Nissan jumped straight from points in the Z24 to a crank angle sensor in the Z24i. You could use some bastardised form of the Z24i distributor with individual coil packs, but you'd need to have that shipped over from the US and do all the research to match it up with a compatible electronic ignition from another vehicle. It's been done but I'd daresay on a truck motor it's not worth the hassle.

Hmmm, could a KA24E dizzy be used ?

Dick Smith sell a hall effect kit.

AFAIK depending on source engine, the KA24E/DE uses a built-in crank angle sensor, hall effect sensors and I'm not sure, either centrifugal weights or the engine speed sensor to advance the timing. On the DE and possibly the E there is also a knock sensor and it's all advanced by the ECU's map so there's no vacuum input at all.

You'd need to modify the mounting bracket slightly as the threaded hole in the block casting has migrated towards the firewall a bit. That's if you sourced it from a Navara, the FWD models actually drive the distributor off the camshaft with a gear rather than a slot off the oil pump drive off the crankshaft.

Best option might be a hall-effect sensor conversion to the old dizzy?

Last edited:
Keep an eye on ebay. Replacement distributors for Z24's which convert it to electronic idnition are always available (except now) !!!!! from memory about $150.00. I must have seen 10 ads for them in the 6 months I have had my D21
thx guys,might just stay with the old points job...Dion,you know a bloody lot about these things,appreciate the advise. :)

By your description the distributor on the Navara version (Driven off the oil pump) might be a close relative of the L series ones. The L series sixes had some electronic ignition versions where they had a reluctor and pickup in the distributor and the coil driver module screwed to the side of it so it was all self contained. Maybe there was a 4 pot version of that. Those ones still had all the advance hardware in the dizzy.

Another option if you were really desperate some aftermarket companies at least in the past have done ignition only computers. You would need to arrange a trigger and you have to lock the distributors advance hardware but you use the control unit to set up the advance curve, which lets you be a bit more agressive than the typical stock advance curve with bob wieghts and vacuum actuators. Haltech used to do one but I don't think they do any more.

By your description the distributor on the Navara version (Driven off the oil pump) might be a close relative of the L series ones. The L series sixes had some electronic ignition versions where they had a reluctor and pickup in the distributor and the coil driver module screwed to the side of it so it was all self contained. Maybe there was a 4 pot version of that. Those ones still had all the advance hardware in the dizzy.

Another option if you were really desperate some aftermarket companies at least in the past have done ignition only computers. You would need to arrange a trigger and you have to lock the distributors advance hardware but you use the control unit to set up the advance curve, which lets you be a bit more agressive than the typical stock advance curve with bob wieghts and vacuum actuators. Haltech used to do one but I don't think they do any more.

The L series, Z series and KA series are all related. The heads will interchange but from memory one oil gallery in the head is slightly off when using a KA head on the other 2 blocks.

Dave.

I remember talking to a guy who works at Autopro who is a Gemini nut and he was telling me about a company who makes the dizzys with the electronic bits to convert older cars.

Cant remember the name of the company though.

Dave.

Or even cheaper as I did, use a TP magna with te hall effect dizzy front wheel drive version with a 2.6 and with the smallest amount of sanding with 800 grit on the Z24 dist housing it slid in and whammo I have electronic ignition. Put in a Bosch coil strapped on a turbo and over 250hp atw.

one of the first things i did when i bought my nav was a piranha kit. from memory it was $300 out of the box, and worked on a hall effect system. a disc and sensor fits in place of the points. was a good buy i havent regretted it for a second. im not sure if it improves performance but it beats having to adjust the breaker.

The KA24E dizzy has got the coil built into the dizzy. Not sure if this means anything, just putting it out there.

Latest posts

Back