upgrading dizzy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just found this one on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-NAVARA-VANETTE-Z20-Z24-ELECTRIC-DISTRIBUTOR-COIL-/200641712533[/URL]

otherwise contact Adam at Nardek in NSW on 02 9984 9984 (http://www.nardek.com.au/), they make them (part # ND-671) but won't have any until late March $250 + $30 for electronic coil.

Mines knackered so do I wait 'til late March or go the eBay option?

...Well late March turned into late April and I only just dropped the new HEI dizzy in this arvo. This has been the best thing done to the motor since I bought it. Wow!

just converted my dizzy, it's a Pertronix kit model number 1943. It's a fairly straight forward job. Remove the points and condenser and the plastic bit that they attach to on the side of the dizzy and Viola! No more points.

Pertronix ignitor

Hi Davess,

In the instructions for the Pertronix kit, does it say anything about needing to use a resistor with the coil?

I ask because I bought my D21 which had a Pertronix kit already fitted, and I hooked up an Accel super coil, which is a big high output coil, and it's been going strong for a couple of years, but it has died over the last month or so, it cuts out when it gets hot after about 5-8 minutes of driving.

Not sure if it's died of old age or if i've fried ie by fitting the big coil. But from what I understand, the resistor is only there to reduce the voltage seen by the points to minimise arcing and therefore extending the life of the points. As the Hall effect sensor in the Pertronix kit doesn't actually flow the spark like the points did, then arcing and input voltage isn't an issue. It says on the box of other kits I've seen that input voltage has to be in the range of 8-16v, so its only 14v with engine running. A resistor would just drop it to about 9v.

So now trying to hunt down a replacement kit, don't want to pay the earth, they go for about $130 in the US. Haven't checked yet but I'm guessing they're twice that if bought locally.

Cheers for any feedback.

I ended up getting my new Dizzy. It came with fuel injection and 2 extra cylinders. Was a bit expensive though lol.

Upgrading Dizzy

I have a Navara with Z24 motor also. I tried the aftermarket Nardek distributor in my truck with the recommended coil, but it didnt run well at all & I ended up sending it back for a refund. My opinion the distributor looked of cheap Chinese manufacture. I ended up fitting a Hot-Spark
3HIT4U1 ignition module electronic conversion kit. Although the Z24 engine is not listed as a fitment for this kit, the vehicles listed use the same Bosch GH203 contact points as the Z24 Navara. USA models of the Z24 have a twin spark plug system & electronic dizzy as standard. Fitment was very straight foward & I replaced the coil with 3 ohms primary resistance coil as recommended in the instuctions. This unit uses a Hall type trigger with a magnetic sleeve supplied to slide over the points cam. I am very happy with the result so far. Nice easy starts + the OEM distributor gives me the reassurance correct advance curve etc.

Latest posts

Back