Upgrade to constant load leafs or just add airbags?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pirahnah

Reaction score
Hi all,
Was wanting your opinons on whether I should upgrade my springs again to constant load or just chuck in some airbags?
I have an 08 d22 with a 2 inch lift (ironman torsion bars, rockcrawler 0-400 leafs).
Went over the weigh bridge the other day and was mildly suprised to find the old girl sits around 2.3T. I do have a steel rack, canvas canopy, fridge slide, awning and 2 batteries always on the back though.
When I go away the springs get pretty flat and I still have a LR tank to go in yet.

I would up grde the springs well before i fitted airbags, especially if you do go off road.
Air bags will limit the flex allot more then a well set up leafspring ever will and you DONT necessarily need to go to a full 400kg constant load spring if you are not carrying that amount.
A good suspension company like Ultimate Suspension will way your ute on each wheel and ask you what your intensions are with the vehicle and then TAILOR your leaf pack to suit YOUR truck not just fit one of three options, the whole idea of the leaf pack is to be PROGRESSIVE so by altering the individual leaf packs the set up options are endless.
Ultimate also offer a LIFETIME warranty on their springs so if they sag they will replace them for as long as you own the ute.

I agree with Nathan mate the weight i pull is heaps my 22 tows 90% of the time with the van and 2 dirtbikes the standard comfort efs does the job well the forces applied on that pivot point where the bags are is huge many failures have happened in saying that the two mates with bags in their 40's have not had an issue and they work them hard.

i'd go the springs.

while i'm sure there's plenty of airbag setups that are doing a good job i've seen too many chassis bend in half with airbags.

I was thinking as much myself. Heh heh guess its gunna be for sale rockcrawlers, not even 6 months old

I had the same issue with constant load springs
I added an extra 3rd leaf as advised by zordo
now I sit flat fully loaded and towing

I have airbags! And while they are a means to an end, I rate them as totally shit off road for all the reasons mentioned above and some. They bounce like a supa ball over speed humps, ruts, rocks and anything else bigger than a fifty cent piece. All that bouncing helps them to deflate, I can pump them up and test for leaks all day but it's the bouncing when they leak. They have served me well but I find them severely lacking in other areas. As for bending the chassis, mine hasn't bent a mm (D22). I will be up grading my springs this year!!!!

Cheers Brad

Leads and air shocks

G'day
Under my d22 I have a efs torision bars and springs with munroe air shocks on the back and have had a really good run with them and I spend a lot of time on dirt and pulling trailers and have a lot of weight in the back so they are the heavier packs but the shocks are good because you can change the ride to suit the weight and road conditions and there has been no sign of the mounts cracking but I don't pump them up over 65 psi
Cheers jack

Thought I would add to this thread instead of starting another one. I have replaced the tub with a steel tray and canopy and my rear leafs are looking a bit sad after the extra weight think I have 2" comfort springs.

I can put some extended shackles in to lift it up again

Replace with heavy duty springs and extended shackles

Or add air bags with what I have atm.

Would love to hear what you guys would do I have all the parts to do all 3

Thought I would add to this thread instead of starting another one. I have replaced the tub with a steel tray and canopy and my rear leafs are looking a bit sad after the extra weight think I have 2" comfort springs.

I can put some extended shackles in to lift it up again

Replace with heavy duty springs and extended shackles

Or add air bags with what I have atm.

Would love to hear what you guys would do I have all the parts to do all 3

another option is to add a leaf and have the old ones reset, will work out cheaper and give you the same result as new ones, you may even just get away with simply adding the extra load leaf.

If I add a extra leaf what one is the load leaf sorry don't no much about suspension. Is it the big long ones or the short ones? And how do I get them reset?

FWIW extended shackles adds leverage and flex, exactly the opposite of what you need if your under a load on the road.

If I add a extra leaf what one is the load leaf sorry don't no much about suspension. Is it the big long ones or the short ones? And how do I get them reset?

The load leafs are on the bottom, depending on how much load you carry will determine how many leafs and and what size and curve they have.
Not sure about your area but a good suspension company will have the ability to reset and stack your leave pack to suit your needs.

I know there not in your area but if you call The Ultimate Suspension they should be able to advise you of a company in vic to do the job as they send there gear all around Aus and deal with most companies.

There also should be a few private companies that will do the job, there is a bloke local to me that all he does is reset leaf packs and coils in his workshop out the back of his house

Don't think anyone resets springs in ballarat anymore, there was a bloke over ballarat east in butt street who used to rest the springs, but I thought he shut up shop. Drive past maybe look if he is still there, but I don't think so

Cheers for that. If I put another load spring in how will I be able to tell if it need to be reset?

Don't think anyone resets springs in ballarat anymore, there was a bloke over ballarat east in butt street who used to rest the springs, but I thought he shut up shop. Drive past maybe look if he is still there, but I don't think so

Hey Dave,

Just curious what is involved in resetting springs? Why do it etc and what the cost might be?

Cheers,

-scott

I would think tou would have to temper the material, reset, heat treat to set the spring then run a sequence of scrag tests to ensure the set takes and the spring is QC ok fit for service.

Latest posts

Back