Unlucky river crossing???

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shan_b

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was away hunting for the weekend in Vic high country, Anyway I saw a guy in his Nav do a river crossing, made it but it looked like it could've gone pear shaped pretty easy!

got me wondering, who has good/not so good stories about river crossings??

Shan

I was out with my mate in his then brand new ranger back a few years in nth Qld, did a river crossing and drowned the engine, he had a snorkel fitted by ford but they hadn't sealed it properly and had his car written off and replaced. Even on the replacement car they didn't seal it properly and he had to take it back in and get it fixed.

There are a number of things that can go wrong with a water crossing. We've only had ours deep enough for water to wash over the bonnet, but it didn't quite reach the windscreen. There were no leaks or wet areas in the carpet, no stalling, no problems whatsoever. Keeping the following in mind will help with any water crossing:

1) Use a wading bra. Even without a snorkel, some water crossings can be done as long as you have a wading bra and keep the forward motion steady. The wading bra will also minimise the risk of debris entering the engine bay and damaging the intercooler/radiator/air conditioning.

2) If you're unsure about the river bottom, WALK IT FIRST. If it's flowing too fast for you to walk it, it is DEFINITELY flowing too fast for you to drive it. Find another way around.

3) NEVER enter the water when your turbocharger has been boosting heavily moments before. Despite the D40 having a water-cooled turbo, it can still get hot enough to do damage if it is dunked in water.

4) NEVER enter the water quickly - ALWAYS use 4LO and first gear. The radiator is restrictive to water flowing through it and a surge of water will push it back against the cooling fan, destroying one or both.

5) NEVER stop while in the water. Just keep moving. Even if you see the biggest fish in the world swimming towards you, just keep on going.

There are a number of things that can go wrong with a water crossing. We've only had ours deep enough for water to wash over the bonnet, but it didn't quite reach the windscreen. There were no leaks or wet areas in the carpet, no stalling, no problems whatsoever. Keeping the following in mind will help with any water crossing:

1) Use a wading bra. Even without a snorkel, some water crossings can be done as long as you have a wading bra and keep the forward motion steady. The wading bra will also minimise the risk of debris entering the engine bay and damaging the intercooler/radiator/air conditioning.

2) If you're unsure about the river bottom, WALK IT FIRST. If it's flowing too fast for you to walk it, it is DEFINITELY flowing too fast for you to drive it. Find another way around.

3) NEVER enter the water when your turbocharger has been boosting heavily moments before. Despite the D40 having a water-cooled turbo, it can still get hot enough to do damage if it is dunked in water.

4) NEVER enter the water quickly - ALWAYS use 4LO and first gear. The radiator is restrictive to water flowing through it and a surge of water will push it back against the cooling fan, destroying one or both.

5) NEVER stop while in the water. Just keep moving. Even if you see the biggest fish in the world swimming towards you, just keep on going.

1 other I reckon.....

And try not to have an EMPTY FUEL TANK as this will also help in the floatation of your car.... The bigger the tank and the emptier it is the greater the loss of traction to your back wheels.... well, that's just my thoughts anyhow, I could be wrong though

Except fuel floats on water too!

Ha ha, just kidding, beats being full of air, good point Rob.

Yeah i had a unlucky river crossing. I got bogged half way through a crossing. Should have walked it first. Anyway long story short the water was only upto the spotties but my snorkle leaked some where and i sucked in water and stalled the motor. Had to be winched out and it wouldnt start. But very luckily it didnt do any damage. I thought i had killed the motor. So its safe to say now i play it safe by the water

ditto for diff and brakes.
i cringe when i see steam pouring out when they go through water.
really hot diff cooled down suddenly is enough that the breather can't cope and can suck water in past the axle seals. more so when you have a HOT tank of fuel and the tank, gearbox and diffs are connect to one small breather line.

I tried one in the brindies a few months back, was going well until 3m from the exit the bottom dropped away and I couldn't get out the other side. The front end just rammed straight into the other bank and I started floating down stream. As I did a quick change into reverse the splash as the clutch went in was an indicator my car wasn't waterproofed so much. Ended up with water up to the seats and well over the bonnet and flat tray I use to have.
Nav backed out fine and the water rushed out when I opened the doors, 3 sunny days later car was dry and haven't had a problem from its dunking. I now walk the entire way across a river if I can't see the bottom. Sure is funnier now than it was at the time.

Latest posts

Back