Unknown electrical thing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
on the front next to the bullbar (passenger side) I have this 3-pin connector.
Unknow electrical thing (1).jpg
Unknow electrical thing (2).jpg
On the inside (passenger side) I have this plug box.
Does anyone know more about this?

Thanks in advance
Peter from Tsonjingboldog/Mongolia

Indeed tweak'e, last winter we had -43° Celsius here. The Navara then stood still for almost three months. They then made a (controlled) fire under the engine until the oil and diesel was liquid again.

electric engine heaters are pretty common in cold countries to stop oil going solid while its in the garage.
I'm more confused on how it works, as in is there an element in the sump?

Edit - it warms the radiator coolant, so it must then electro pump it?

if it just warms the coolant then not sure how it keeps the oil from solidifying

Hi Phunk,
my heater works electrically, on 220 Volt.
There is a heating element and a kind of fan under the car.
This blows the warm air through a pipe to under the crankcase.
This heats the oil and makes it more liquid, which of course ensures a better start.
I don't think there is a radiator coolant heater, since anti-freeze is added to the cooling water.
Maybe there is a diesel heater, but I don't know.
Grtz
Peter

Hi Phunk,
my heater works electrically, on 220 Volt.
There is a heating element and a kind of fan under the car.
This blows the warm air through a pipe to under the crankcase.
This heats the oil and makes it more liquid, which of course ensures a better start.
I don't think there is a radiator coolant heater, since anti-freeze is added to the cooling water.
Maybe there is a diesel heater, but I don't know.
Grtz
Peter
Legend, thanks heaps mate.

Yeah here in Aus, 99% of the country won't necessarily ever need something like that here, but I've been overseas and experienced -20, so definitely understand why it would exist!

I'm more confused on how it works, as in is there an element in the sump?

Edit - it warms the radiator coolant, so it must then electro pump it?

if it just warms the coolant then not sure how it keeps the oil from solidifying
there is a few different versions. some fit a heater element in through the frost plugs on the block. some are an element in/on the crankcase. some are coolant lines with a small pump.

I've heard of that too.
These systems are installed in Norway, Sweden and Finland.
But Mongolia is a poor country where such devices are almost impossible to find.
I haven't found a distributor here yet.
We had made a brick garage last year. But the budget ran out. There are no windows or doors yet, only wooden panels.
Insulation and proper electrical cabling are for this year.
Then we will have a heated garage by next winter and this problem will be solved again.

Latest posts

Back