UHF Radios

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navaranewb

Reaction score
Ok peeps. UHF is a must and a cheap first addition to my new truck

Keen to see what people prefer and use before i buy. Im partial to uniden but havent used in years so whats your thoughts and specific models

Few i have checked obviously are
GME
Uniden
Oricom

I have an Oricom, its simple to use, but as large as the older model UHF`s, i dont mind it as it works fine and is capable for the price i paid ($180-ish i think) but wouid like to upgrade to a small GME similar to the GME TX3420 Mobile UHF.

I have a icom 400 pro, if I was in the market for a new UHF I would be looking at the newer ones with the screen and control pad on the handpiece , takes up less room as you leave it mounted under your seat or dash

From what i know there is not much difference, i think the more expensive ones are more easier programmable, oh and smaller which helps with installation. That would be about it.

I had an Oricom from Supercheap when they were in special full unit with aerial cost me $150 - bang for the buck - I fitted this on the side of the gear stick

now I have a Uniden full unit and an Aerial in my Pootrol

I have the oricom, mainly for price as it was a good price, plus I wanted a full din radio and mounted it directly under my Cd player in the dash, looks good there and is functional.

I think the main difference is the quality of the voice on the speakers, and sure a GME or Uniden would have better quality voice on speaker at a fair bit bigger price. But I'm happy with my cheaper oricom and gives good reception tho if I had the dollars I prob would of gone GME then Uniden, money talks ecspecially with extras when they all pretty much do the same job.

Last edited:
I used to have a uniden unit, no issued with it...

i have a SME ? one with the high output, full programmable deal now..it has a control unit and a hand-piece thats does everything...
i much prefer the all in one hand-piece, as its so much easier to operate and you can simply remove it from the truck and no one knows you have a CB - one less thing to steal

After reading about the Uniden i`d go for that as its a built in scanner and many other functions, scanners are great out in the sticks where the cops still use analog. but they dont seem to mention a price.

Last edited:
After reading about the Uniden i`d go for that as its a built in scanner and many other functions, scanners are great out in the sticks where the cops still use analog. but they dont seem to mention a price.

Price listed on their website is 399. Same as the old uh015sx 40chan when it was around. Im sure it could be obtained cheaper than that price tho. Have to check my contacts :)

id recommend a handheld ICOM 41W and a very tidy, waterproof unit and the rechargeable battery has a good lifespan but easily recharged in the car or at home.

80 channels, 5 watts, sensational in its own right and i can also connect it to an external antenna to give me some extra range.
yesterday i was listening to the truckies in outer melbourne suburbs due to some traffic delays..range got lost at 16 klms without it being connected to the antenna.

i also have a cheap uniden hand held that has a range of a couple of klms as a back up or for in the bush.

A similar unit to the IC400 is the Vertex Standard. Made by Yaesu. They are 5w - 25watt adjustable and fully programable 100 channels. You just plug the interface lead into the mic socket and program what you want using a laptop and software. Easy to do also. I bought mine when the UHF was still only 40 channels but now I have programmed it to do the new 80 channel plus also have some fire and SES channels programmed in. Great radio built to military specs and indestructible to vibration and dust. Looks almost identical to the Icom 400c also.

Cheers.

I'm a comms tech by trade out the mines and we sell a lot of GME gear. I have one in my Nav. Great little radio that can handle a bit of ruff stuff. As with anything electronic you get what you pay for.

Pay $50 for a UHF it ain't gonna last as long or have the features of a $300 unit.

A similar unit to the IC400 is the Vertex Standard. Made by Yaesu. They are 5w - 25watt adjustable and fully programable 100 channels. You just plug the interface lead into the mic socket and program what you want using a laptop and software. Easy to do also. I bought mine when the UHF was still only 40 channels but now I have programmed it to do the new 80 channel plus also have some fire and SES channels programmed in. Great radio built to military specs and indestructible to vibration and dust. Looks almost identical to the Icom 400c also.

Cheers.

The Vertex also on par or just ahead of icom 400pro,if you buy the US version of the 400 it runs native 35w no pushing the finals.Hugh

I have a icom 400 pro, if I was in the market for a new UHF I would be looking at the newer ones with the screen and control pad on the handpiece , takes up less room as you leave it mounted under your seat or dash

Sorry for the late drop in on this thread, I only joined up today.
Just thought I would add my agreement regarding the remote unit with controls in the handpiece.
I have a GME TX3440 (Old 40ch I think thats the model) with the remote set and controls in the hand piece. It was expensive at the time (2008) around the $450 mark.
I mounted the remote unit in the headliner above the driver seat and ran an "extension" using a piece of computer cable from the unit down the window pillar and terminated it with a female Cat5 socket in the blanking socket opposite to the Hazard light switch under the radio.
The socket I used is a ruggedised socket (got it from Jaycar) that has a cap so when the unit is not in use I unplug the handset and stow it I the glove box and put the cap on.. You would never know
After I sold that Navara I used the same metodology to mount it in my Mazda 3.
Havig just purchased my new Navara, guess what is coming out of the Mazda next week :)

Latest posts

Back