UHF antenna

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason.R

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wondering which antenna is better the solid fibre glass ones or the the smaller style ones.

Depends on what you want out of it,as in are you using in in open areas and want good long distance or are you more in hilly built up areas?

I don't believe that it matters if its a stainless or fiberglass one, what you need to look for is the db rating.

3-4db (generally shorter) good for hilly built up areas
6-9db (generally quite long) better for open flat areas like touring around Aus.

Or were you talking about a fibreglass Vs wire type?

If you buy the wire/rod type with loading coils, then you will be forever checking the lock nots as they continually vibrate loose. BTDT. on a 6/9db model. The unity stick is a fibreglass and I'll look at getting another solid fibreglass for the 6/9db. Both have a spring at the bottom.

I think someone asked this quest a few weeks ago, so a search might turn up other answers.

Hi Jason

There are a number of different types of UHF CB antenna however most common are A) the elevated feed type which are available with sold fibreglass (with braid & a coil radiator) whip or stainless steel wire. Both have their advantages & disadvantages however the most common is the solid fibreglass whip and B) the generally larger ‘broom stick’ style antennas. These are a hollow fibreglass tube with internal radiator. The construction of these radiators varies from small bits of coax soldered together, to coax & coils, to coax & PCB and some (RFI) do a full flexible PCB radiator.

Both antenna styles work fine. The key is to use a good quality antenna with medium gain (5-6.5 dBi) and mount at high a physically practical on the vechicle.

PS: I would recommend RFI antennas as I work for them. www.rfiwireless.com.au

Ian

Latest posts

Back