Turbo cooling

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tj1976

Reaction score
Hi Do you need to run the engine on the stx550 to wind down the turbo or can you turn it straight off don't know if I should install a turbo timer

It's the same for any turbocharged vehicle (even TC petrol engines). The turbocharger, driven by the hot exhaust, will obviously heat up under load and speed.

Driven gently for the last few minutes before stopping, you won't need to worry, because there won't be enough heat generated in the turbo. But if you've climbed a hill to get to where you are stopping, your turbo would have been doing a little work and will need to be allowed to idle for a short time before turning the engine off.

Do you need a turbo timer? Not with vigilance, but it doesn't hurt. I have one in my car, but I tow a lot, and when I'm towing I flick it on for 1 minute (winter) and 2 minutes (summer).

Thanks great info I actually fitted a pp turbo timer but the central locking from the key wont work when timer is on and it's frustrating yes you can lock the car from the button iside but you can't open the car while timer is operating

Mine has the same issue. For that reason, I don't stray far from my car while the TT is operating, and once it shuts the engine down I flick the lock with the remote.

Hi Do you need to run the engine on the stx550 to wind down the turbo or can you turn it straight off don't know if I should install a turbo timer

Save your cash.
It winds down straight as soon as your off the throttle, it's the oil temp your trying to lower.
If you go slow with minimal throttle openig and load before you stop and you'll be right. Unless you reall have to jump out the second you pull up.

I never bothered getting a TT because I never drive around on boost through a car park or pulling into the driveway etc. I'm just conscious of the fact i'm taking it easy and not getting on boost. But other people's circumstances are different.
Do what makes you comfortable.

I live on a hill and it does not matter which way i come in from im always on it for the last few fundred meters, for that reason i hae a TT fitted and its pretty cheap insurance against early turbo failure.

Latest posts

Back