touring what rig is actually needed?!?!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAD D40

Reaction score
Hey guys Im not too sure exactly where to post this or if its already been posted elsewhere.
I bought my truck with haste as to take advantage of the governments 50% rebate and intended to go touring Aus.
I have taken my D40 out a few times in the otways and the rutts dug by 35s everywhere have made the Navara really uncapable.
I have seen tourers with a simple 2 inch lift and 32s or 33s youring the country.
My question is will my Navara being so incapable in the otways carry the ability to tour Aus?? Im talking like telegraph track and others REAL 4x4 tracks not just the gravel corrigated highways.
Or do I need to step up the game and get 35s and a real lift?!?!

Help from experienced travellers would be greatly appreciated

Jase took his d40 Kingcab over most of Oz no worries.
You have all you need. Just know your capabilities. Nobody travels the continent in a comp truck

Nobody travels the continent in a comp truck

youd be suprised.

But seriously. 2-3" lift 32-33" tyres and you will get to 90% of australia. good driving skill and knowing your 4wd and how it handles will get you to 95%. 99% youll get to with 35's and a locker. and that 1 last % well it just depends how far your willing to go. Theres always a bigger rock.

Personally I wouldn't go the big tyres, big lift route.

Decent tyres are a must, but the larger the tyres, the harder the engine has to work to push even the unladen vehicle so your fuel bill WILL go up.

A modest lift will see you going into a lot of new places, but remember that you have to take your sleeping gear with you.

If you're doing it in tents that stay in the tub and you waterPROOF the tub (meaning every little gap is sealed) then you've got a decent solution. Tub-top or roof-top tents would also be a reasonable answer. The problem with these solutions is that they don't lend themselves well to rest-area stops or quick "pull over and make lunch" stops.

Even pop-up campers are limited in that way, but the caveat with anything you tow is that you have to be able to get it through whatever terrain you want to travel through yourself, unless you can rely on the trailer remaining where it is while you take off for a short excursion.

Your trailer - popup camper, pop-top or full caravan - needs to be as rugged as your tow vehicle. Kedron - they're the ones my wife and I are looking at - are probably among the best. Ignore the blatant Toyota ad, but check this out:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqg1FoQD8D0[/YT]

These vans aren't rubbish. Notice that the tow vehicle - 200 series Land Cruiser - doesn't look like a monster truck. It can't be - you need to put power to the road, and you just can't do that with huge tyres unless your engine can be seen from low earth orbit.

Just a word on full-height vans: they are already set up, so you can simply pull over and immediately have a nap, make lunch, go to sleep, wake up and drive away within 5 minutes. They have proper showers and toilet inside. Inner spring mattresses instead of crappy foam.

I think you could probably travel to 100% of Australia's surface if you took the following things with you:

* Decently set up tow rig
* Decent towed accommodation
* Inflatable boat
* Mountain Bikes
* Good hiking shoes

Doing it like that will give you a taste of every form of travel and really, you'll get a lot more enjoyment out of it.

However, that's all MY opinion. Everyone's going to be different - you don't HAVE to follow any single one of us, you can take bits from each and go your own way.

Whichever way you do it, you MUST - without fail - take a decent camera (at least a still camera, but video is also good) and take LOTS of photos, even while on the move. These will serve as reminders of how much fun you had!

Tyre pressure and driver attitude - the two most important mods to make to your truck!

Seriously, a decent set of tyres (don't ask me which ones though), match your suspension with your intentions (towing needs, overall weight), recovery/ survival kit and good preparation will see you go most places. When the road becomes a goat track take a buddy or two (snatching, winching or a ride to safety).

Latest posts

Back