Torque please explain this test

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nismo4x4

Reaction score
iv got a 06 YD25 and mate has hilux sr petrol

torque by the books
hilux petrol 343Nm @ 2400-4800rpm
D40 yd25 403Nm @ 2000rpm

going up a 30 degree ramp...hilux can crawl up in first (idling) however D40 stalls even though i have more torque...i dont understand...

Id be assuming the.tourque figures are done on a stationary engine not at the wheels. this means the high gearing of the d40 will come into effect and cause it to stall. you can drop the clutch nearly with no revs in a hilux and roll away the navaras are geared a lot taller you almost have to ride the clutch to roll away that is where the difference would come from. well thats my guess anyway dont take that as gosphel

iv got a 06 YD25 and mate has hilux sr petrol

torque by the books
hilux petrol 343Nm @ 2400-4800rpm
D40 yd25 403Nm @ 2000rpm

going up a 30 degree ramp...hilux can crawl up in first (idling) however D40 stalls even though i have more torque...i dont understand...

whats the torque figure at idle? max torque/power figures don't always mean anything.
also the numbers are for the engine, NOT what you get at the back wheel. gearing makes a massive difference.

Yep, torque difference due to gearing is straight multiplication.
Also, the max torque figures have nothing to do with torque at idle.
The test means nothing.
If you and yr mate want to settle yr pissing contest, i suggest hitching the two vehicles togather at the tow bar for a straight out tug of war.
And post the vid.

My cousin just bought a hilux dualcab with 70000kms on it and the turbo is rooted lol. just to add to the hilux flame tree lol

Ive seen both snap chassis rails on on mine sites due to the harsh abuse from the environments. As stated earlier the torque specs are bench tests of the engine, not including drive line multiplication.

Diesel engines will always have better torque ratings due to the combustion effects.

That tug of war would be a smash hit on Youtube.

As others have said, it's gearing. The very reason why you have a 4-LOW is not because you need to go slow, it's there to give you MASSIVE amounts of torque at the wheels.

Put your truck in 4LOW and see if it moves like the Hilux.

Smaller diameter wheels have BETTER torque. Larger wheels don't. The general rule of thumb: the lower the gear ratio (gearbox, transfer case, diffs, wheel size) the MORE the torque delivered to the ground.

Yep, torque difference due to gearing is straight multiplication.
Also, the max torque figures have nothing to do with torque at idle.
The test means nothing.
If you and yr mate want to settle yr pissing contest, i suggest hitching the two vehicles togather at the tow bar for a straight out tug of war.
And post the vid.

I agree!

The shape of the torque curve through the rev range is more useful to see. Also comes down to gearing and weight of the vehicles.

I'll wait for the vid ;)

Latest posts

Back