Timing chain problems

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike2073

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry for a problem to be my first post. I found your forum after googling.

I started having a rattle in my d40 2008 model. My mechanic told me it sounded like the timing chain which is pretty pricy to fix.
After doing a bit of research I found it's unfortunately a common problem with the d40 motor.
My car has passed the warranty on kms doing 128000 kms.

I rang the Nissan customer service who told me to book it in.

I did that and was told that because I didn't have it serviced with them they couldn't have it fixed under Nissans good will policy.

The estimate repair was $11800. This pretty much makes the car worthless after 2.5 years. Very disappointed.

Has any one else has a win in this situation before.

I feel a component such as a timing chain should give a reasonable life span regardless of who did the servicing. I don't feel that 128000 kms or 2.5 years is a fair and reasonable amount of ware on a non consumable item.

Look forward to your replies.

Kind regards,
Mike

Welcome to the forum.

Nissan technically are correct, but I wonder what would happen at another dealer? Having the vehicle serviced at any mechanic doesn't legally negate a warranty (and Nissan aren't allowed to do that) but since your vehicle is now outside its warranty, they aren't obliged to do anything.

However, it's a fair point that the item should have been expected to last longer than it has. The key will be not whether the dealer will do the work - but whether the dealer will be able to convince Nissan to pay for the work. The dealer you visited probably just saw an easy 'out' and ran with it. It might be worth talking to a dealer that's more approachable.

That said, if you can't get anywhere - Nissan do tend to overquote on that sort of work. The timing chain replacement does require a fair bit of labour - I think it's about 6 to 8 hours worth by a qualified mechanic - but the chain(s) and guide(s) that need replacing aren't 24-carat, so you ought to be able to get out of it a lot cheaper than $11,800.

The NEW, (Jan this year) consumer laws, are an interesting read. One of the facets provide for exactly this scenario. "Fit for purpose." Warranty aside the product should be FFP for a reasonable life. It's not gunna be easy to convince them and if they in fact 'DO' have a legal 'OUT' you can bet they will use it. Get a real Quote as Tony say's and choose whether the battle is really worth it, $ and sanity?
Oh the reason for these new laws is because the Implication for FFP already exsisted for any manufactured product.
The information will be available on line.
Also avail in another thread here called, Really starting to piss me off.
Please keep us up to date.
Good luck

Last edited:
Thanks for the prompt replies.
I 'm going to see if I can trade it in this week on an Amerok or hilux. I have a brother who's a mechanic but doesn't like working on anything that's not a v8 super car and a father who's a retired mechanic. He may need to come out of retirement for me.

I'll try Nissan again also and make sure I've exhausted all there requirements to give them every opportunity to help before trying anything legal.

I'm not the sort of person to jump up and down making lots of noise so it would be nice to see them acknowledge their " fit for purpose" obligation as described.

Thanks again

Mike

Forgive the ignorance, but how is a timing chain replacement worth $11800? You would have to bend a lot of other stuff (i.e. blow the motor) to get near that price surely.

After 128k it's pretty poor.

N

Holy crap that sounds dear hopefully that is not a accurate quote. Cannt see how it should cost anywhere near that

Thanks for the prompt replies.
I 'm going to see if I can trade it in this week on an Amerok or hilux. I have a brother who's a mechanic but doesn't like working on anything that's not a v8 super car and a father who's a retired mechanic. He may need to come out of retirement for me.

I'll try Nissan again also and make sure I've exhausted all there requirements to give them every opportunity to help before trying anything legal.

I'm not the sort of person to jump up and down making lots of noise so it would be nice to see them acknowledge their " fit for purpose" obligation as described.

Thanks again

Mike

I don't know where you are Mike but just for 'peace of mind sake' I'd recommend that you give Ritchie Cole at Hume Off Road in Canberra a call to discuss this. I was talking to Ritchie a couple of days ago and he told me that he had recently referred 3 x D40s to Nissan for timing chain warranty work. He had been doing the routine servicing on these - I don't know the full story but reckon it would be worth the cost of a phone call to get the low down. BTW Ritchie has probably the best reputation among 4WDrivers in this region and he would also be able to tell you what a fair price for a timing chain change out might be. His number is 02 6260 2005.

Oh and re the Amarok and 'lux......you are still likely to have problems with either of them as well. The D4D in the Prado and 'lux is starting to show problems with head gaskets....and I would be waiting a couple of years before getting the Amarok...just to make sure that what bugs do show themselves are engineered out of subsequent models. Repair costs are high for all modern diesels for example I've got a mate here who drowned his Toureg..(not the V10 model)...rebuild cost was....wait for it.........................$28K.......that's right....actually it was a few hundred more but I just can't remember the exact number. Thankfully for him his insurance company came good and footed the bill.

Last edited:
If you gunna trade it as is, tell us the VIN of it so WE don't end up buying it eh.

I think the cost would associate to the amount of damage the chain has done, Normally i would think that guides, tensioner and chain be replaced, my ST-X had the those parts plus all timing cogs, seals and surrounding bits changed, workshop cost $10,000. To remove the sump, the front axle has to be removed, the hours accumulate quick. I would think the $11,800 figure is worst case scenario. Cheers.

Hi Mike , mate I had a timing chain fitted to my 2.4 petrol Nav and it cost $ 800.00 at ultra tune I know its not a diesel 2.5 but they are taking the piss with that quote. If your engine still running you cant have done much damage I've just recently rebuilt my zd30 myself which is a similar engine and there's not that much in it once everything on the front is removed anyway just my opinion , good luck

Last edited:
i spoke to Nissan customer service today.

They said i haven't exhausted all the possibilities yet.

Now need to collect all the reciepts from the services to provide them.

Shouldn't be too hard to find them as we try to keep a tidy set of books.

Having done all that the reason they use a timing chain is so you don't have to replace a belt every 100,000km.
Anyway I'll keep plodding along in their terms until they say no.

thanks

mike

NISSAN NAVARA D40 ENGINE FULL TIMING CHAIN MODIFICATION | eBay
if anyone needs parts shipped or anyhelp from uk let me know.

I spoke to them recently about that and the price was huge as you needed to send them the vac pump to modify and some thing else from memory which was a bit hard when there along way away!!

I found this complete kit which you could get your mechanic to fit

Even if you paid him $100 an hr and it took him 10hrs being it would prob be his first one its still bloody cheaper!!

Nissan Navara 2.5 2.5TDI YD25 YD25DDTI Timing Chain kit | eBay

ok ive gone thru what your trying to do... except i listed the rattle at 83kms and 85kms and then tried to get them to come to the party at 103kms.... no go..... full nissan service history, i worked for them selling their cars for the time aswell..... not impressed.... had to supply all history etc and tried to put claim thru 3 times as they denied it prior to asking for details and once they found out more details it was good to try and claim again....

in the end they offered half parts paid but only if nissan conducted the work.... like fuck....

i have been driving her for the lst 30,000kms listerning to her rattlepig noises and finally bit the bullet and stripped the front down... sure enough the bottom chain had stretch like fk.... i also lost 8 teeth off the fuel pump big sprocket and the chain had eaten thru the lower tensioner and was rubbing thru the rear timing cover.... haha

in the end cost pric to me was 1000k for upper and lower chain lower guide and new fuel pump sprocket.... took me 2 days to do (bout12hours of work) i didnt take sump off but locked up balance shaft with 2 pieces of fencing wire.... just ba sure not to spin your balance shaft ......

all fixed now for 1k +coolant/oil etc....

nissan had quoted me 5-7k depending on damage....

i had nissan supply me with the full nissan dealer timing chain repair guid which helped with all details...

in the end it turned out my lower chain had also jumped 1 tooth so lucky....

good luck...

ps i cbf with taking to court just wanted it fixed.... cockheads

ps i cbf with taking to court just wanted it fixed.... cockheads[/QUOTE]

I think you may have been too kind in your description.

Latest posts

Back