Ticking noise.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbit-chop

Reaction score
Sounds exactly like a stone or a nail stuck in the tyre, but it isnt. Increases and decreases with road speed regardless of clutch, gear or throttle. Notice it more with drivers window down when driving alongside anything that reflects sound.

Was going nuts for a while picking gravel out of the tyres every time i got in or out of the car, or pulling over to pick the tyres. Done a wheel rotation recently and inspected tyres carefully and it still seems to be coming from the drivers side rear even tho its a different tyre now.
Anyone ever heard of this? Thoughts?

Anyone? As the pirate with a steering wheel down his pants says; "Arrr! its drivin me nuts!"

Yeh that happened to me on a work site, the foreman got a zip tie and put it on my tail shaft cheeky bugger I was like wtf.. Got out and looked under what you know this big ass zip tie! Anyway I duct taped his car the next day headlights and all.

thanks for the ideas fellas. Ill have a look at the brakes and UJs (and zip ties) tomorrow. [EDIT] ^ nah the front brakes are still like new at 160k but ill have another look at them and the drums too.

had this problem in an old hilux I used to own, never found out what it was but I suspected like a center bearing or uni joint.

I probly wont get around to having a propper look at it til next weekend. Thanks for the input tho fells, its all stuff to put on the checklist. Any more thoughts and advice will be much apreciated.

Hi Rabbit,

I have recently purchased a navara d40 and it was the first thing I had noticed, It sounds like it is coming from the firewall but lower near the footwell, It sounds like what you say with the stone in tyre or like engine pinging from a petrol turbo engine..

For me it is mostly noticeable under load or WOT but comes and goes if I go over some bumps etc,

I had my car serviced by nissan and the head mechanic knows these cars inside out and the problem is the " clutch " pipes hitting up against the firewall, they call it " clutch pipe insulation " apparently and is quoted to be a $90 fix, fitted.

hope this helps mate

I just found the cause of an annoying clicking sound that sounded like plastic hitting together from the door trim.
Turned out the door had dropped a little rubbing against the latch.
Lowered the latch by 1mm and problem solved.

Latest posts

Back