Thermo Fan Install D40 2010 2.5d

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel Marks

Reaction score
Hi all,
Firstly great forum you all have here.
I did a search and couldn't come up with much so here goes.
I am sick of the roaring/power robbing Engine fan when ever I take off from the lights etc.
I am going to fit a pair of Thermos I have from a previous race car.
I feel in summer I can switch the smaller A/C fan on when idling around and then the larger Main fan will be triggered by a inline Thermostat switching system.
Has anyone had or know of anyone doing this?
Thanks. I will post pics to contribute when done.

It's been talked about a number of times but I don't think anyone ended up doing it. I'm pretty sure people worked out there were only very minimal gains to be had doing it. But would defietly be good to see someone do it. Are you considering using a fan switch taped into the thermostat housing or a Davies Craig type controller in the radiator?

Must say I'm sick of the fan noise too..and i have some spare thermo's....keen to see how you go about it

My question would be, why in 2008-2012 that Nissan decree'd the need to have a Hydraulic fan being driven off the flywheel..

I thought that tech went out in the early 80's

Is a diesel different in it's needs for fan circulation?

There are guy's over in Europe doing the conversions and say they are getting 2mpg fuel saving, better acceleration off the line and less noise at start up.

image007us4.jpg

image009tq1.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

To be honest, I've never thought about doing that, but if there are significant fuel savings and if the airflow can be improved through the system (intercooler, aircon + radiator which contains auto trans cooler) then maybe it's something that I should think about.

Thanks for the pics.
I will mount a smaller one in which will be activated by the aircon switch (I use the aircon daily so may have a override switch as well) And also a larger one that is triggered by a temp sensor. I have been monitoring and recording coolant temps with the scan gauge for a little while now and 88c seems to be the average temp so if I can keep temps around that under the same driving conditions there shouldn't be a problem.
95% of my driving in highway and city.
I will hopefully mount them up late next week.

My question would be, why in 2008-2012 that Nissan decree'd the need to have a Hydraulic fan being driven off the flywheel..

I thought that tech went out in the early 80's

Is a diesel different in it's needs for fan circulation?

The best examples of that would be ford and holden. They stopped using them in the mid 90s. The type of engine doesn't affect what fans they can use. Front wheel drive diesels have to use thermo fans anyway they can't have a mechanical fan.

The only thing to keep in mind is to make sure you shroud it properly. If you don't you will loose efficiency and end up overheating the motor...

The only reason Nissan would still use them is because they are probably cheaper to make and fit than thermos. Thermos would be a lot better for water crossings too, not as much risk of the fan sucking into the radiator if the fan isn't running...

G'day mate how did u go persuing this? I found it funny too my 07 car has an engine driven fan but my wife's 06 is thermos. I also installed thermos on my old kings wood when I was a young fella as a hp upgrade so am interested in doing it to the comparative snail I'm drivin now if its worth it

Cheers

Would be interesting to see done. I want to put a hood scoop in mine as with all the bash plates are stopping air flow.....

+1 to TigerSt
I'm also looking at that as I notice that the under bonnet temperature went up after the bash plates were installed. Most of the hot air now try to come out from the sides where the battery and the air filter are. I placed a K&N sticker on the air filter cover and it SHRUNK!

I like the idea of the fan, i'll keep an eye on this one!

Cheers

A while ago I went on a tour of Natrad (radiator manufacturers) with a car club of which I am a member.

With a 350 Chev in a 200 series Volvo, I asked the Natrad bloke about overheating in traffic, despite my custom made 4 row radiator which I must add was not made by Natrad.

As well as running an engine fan, I had wired in a large thermo which activated by a temperature switch.

His recommendation was to remove the thermo because engine fans are more efficient and the surface area of the thermo motor robs the radiator of cooling efficiency for that area.

I did remove the thermo and noticed no difference, good or bad.

The thermo was attached close to and in front of the radiator, pushing air through.

Attachments

• Image0095.jpg
    Image0095.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
I did much the same with a 1995 XJ Jeep Cherokee.
Took out the clutch fan and put the largest thermo fan I could in.
Wired into the aircon and auxiliary fans relay.
I left the original radiator shroud on for better air flow.
Huge difference...never again over heated and the aircon worked better too.
It was set to cut in about 94ºC for big 4 litre petrol clunker.
Helped fuel consumption too...not much but it did help.
Now considering this fit out for the Navara.

I would be glad to hear and see of others experiences.

How did everyone go with this? Did anyone finish this yet ? Interested in hearing what the temp differences were and the fuel economy difference.

I have my doubts a thermo fan would be succesful. Not in regard to the coolant temp so much but the under bonnet temps are really high in D40's as is. You need some serious air displacement to keep them sane. I would definitely consider bonnet vents if doing so.
Would be fine in a northern European country but on a 40+ deg day in Adelaide or Low range work on a hot day, forget it.

Latest posts

Back