Tablet In A Navara [Entertaiment + Navigation + Internet + More]

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SideStep

Reaction score
On another thread a discussion began on a having a tablet in a car to replace the traditional Head Unit/Media Unit.

Recently I had done this switch so here's my method.
So the main question is the mounting.
The majority of mounts available are either windscreen suction mount, dash suction mount or retarded air vent mount!
They would all be OK for a small phone, but ridiculous for a tablet.

Evidently, the tablet I purchased can be mounted within the center console.

34gpzr4.jpg

However, some minor modification is required.
The plastic tabs (pointed out in red in the image) would all need to be shaved down.
that would allow the tablet to sit higher and the whole screen be visible/usable (The status/notifications bar is obscured int he first image).

xojms6.jpg

The other issue would be that the volume and power buttons (located at the top of this tablet) would now not be accessible.
There are many ways one would overcome this so that's up to the individual that decides to mount it internally.

Personally, I wanted to keep my head unit for it's remote, amplifier connection and multiple reverse camera inputs.
So I then went for a different mounting method. In front and in the same region that the original head unit is.
This would obviously disable the use of the head unit.
I also didn't want to drill or glue nothing into the face of the console which would leave permanent damage.
In the end a simple swivel/lid type of bracket "thing" was my solution.

2j5jcdw.jpg

The tablet can now be moved out of the way when I need to use the head unit underneath.
The swivel point is hidden under that little tray thing that pops out (not on all Navaras.).
Only small holes are needed to be drilled and they are not visible.
The plate stays well in place and does not rattle or flip up due to the thickness been greater then the gap that it's in.

vz2xj.jpg

Making the plate is simple and the two bends required can be done with simple tools.
This was a first attempt so I have since made a new one that follows the curvature better.
A friend is going to color match it in some paint that is apparently scratch proof so the end result won't look so ghetto!

Mounting the tablet to the plate is up to the individual, simply using 4 points of velcro attachment will hold it.
But making the plate more elaborate to have lips on the sides and bottom so that the tablet slides in is really a matter of choice.
The choice of tablet is also up to the individual but with the plate been flat and velcro been awesome you could even slap a big ass iPad or 10.1 tablet on there.

Anyway, that's how I did it. Tablets are a great thing and cheap these days.
Having it in the car to do just about everything you require is a better choice then paying a premium for a head unit that is limited in function.

In the car it looks like this...

kvvaf.jpg

68d2zk.jpg

Using an App called "Car Home Ultra" makes using the tablet easy and safe!

Here is the template for anyone wanting it..

29wv9dv.jpg

The easiest way would be to only use the right side of the template.
Simply mark out a rectangle 192mm x 125mm and then just add the side tabs to both sides of that rectangle.

I used 0.6mm Aluminum that is strong enough to keep it's shape but also not too thick that the movement is overly stiff.

Last edited:
Thats great.
Have you thought about making and selling the plates.
Cause i would love 1.

Cheers
Chad

Looks good.

My tablet is a 10 inch and it's too big to go in that location so I made a mount on the side of the transmission. Unlike most people I don't want to see what is on the screen when I'm using it and 99% of the time I want to use it for navigation I have a passenger so I don't need access to the thing. In the end the only reason I don't use mine these days is because I never found a decent front end to go with the maps. I tried Centrafuse and Garmin but reckoned they both sucked and in the end my tablet became a glorified MP3 player the missus could play Mahjong on so it rarely gets used anymore. One day it might come out again when someone makes a decent front end for Windows machines.

SideStep,
Is the power cable that you used standard fare, or a 12V specific from Samsung?
Can you please state the actual model that you used - WiFi or the Telstra Mobile version?
thanks

Great idea! I have one of these 7.7 Samsung tablets also. Something to consider although the D22 console is different. :(

Yeah in the end the solution was simple but effective!

Krafty, I originally had intentions on building a car pc too but chose a tablet for it's small size and portability.

I will provide a stencil for anyone that want's to have a go at making one.
As for selling them I doubt it, but I guess if I could whip up a few and pass them on.

The power cable is the standard charge/data cable that comes with the tablet.
It simply goes in behind the plate and comes out and connects to the cigarrete lighter.
A usb plug socket thing that is made for tablet is required.
They are on ebay cheap for only a couple of bucks from many Aussie seller.

The tablet is using a 3G sim card from Telstra.
Telstra seem to favor the iPad and they have a $30 for 3GB starter kit which can be topped up to the same or greater amount.
They state that it can only be used and will only function in an iPad but all you need is a micro sim adapter.

The best way to go though (and cheapest if you are already on telstra home and broadband) is to get a mobile wifi module that the tablet can connect to.
If you are already on telstra this is only $29 for 4GB.

It all depends on how much data you use.

Mine is a tablet, not a carPC, I gave up on the whole carpPC idea when i saw the cost and my suppliers offered me a free 10inch tablet I really had no other use for. But until some bugger makes a decent from end and windows mapping software the idea of a navigation system to me is wasted. It's good to see people using these toys for something other than the majority of users use them for though.

Mine is a tablet, not a carPC, I gave up on the whole carpPC idea when i saw the cost and my suppliers offered me a free 10inch tablet I really had no other use for. But until some bugger makes a decent from end and windows mapping software the idea of a navigation system to me is wasted. It's good to see people using these toys for something other than the majority of users use them for though.

Have you looked at dropping android on the tablet instead ? I don't know what model tablet you've got but I do know of quite a few projects that were working towards porting android to some of these windows based tablets.

It's both windows and android but the missus can't get the Mahjong game she likes on Android so it's a windows pc for the car :big_smile:

Yeah a car pc is too costly and messy.
The amount of components needed to achieve the same thing a tablet can makes the thing redundant in todays world.

Krafty what's so special about her game, there are heaps of them mahjong games in the Play store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nix.game.mahjong&hl=en

The 10 inch tablet would be too big to mount there anyway, the heater/air con vents would hit the back of it and create issues.

I did look at the Tab 10.1 but the 7.7 was the better choice.
Samsung make an 8.9 one which would fit sweet but that one doesn't have a microsd slot to expand the memory.
Many android tablets that claim to only accept 32GB of memory can actually read a 64GB microsd card.
I'm using one in my tablet and it's a big bonus, specially for the fact that music is the primary use of the device in the car.
Another great thing is that you can use an OTG (On The Go) cable that works as a host, allowing you to connect even more memory.
So if you have heaps of movies on a usb stick you simply plug it into the tablet and watch them without needing to transfer them.

Toshiba also make 7.7 tablet which would be a good buy.
It's got better specs then the Samsung one.

Krafty what's so special about her game, there are heaps of them mahjong games in the Play store:

It's the one she wants to play and if she's happy I'm happy. Besides I much prefer Windows to shitty Android stuff, using Android stuff is like going back to DOS 3 with colour.

I also don't like showing off to all and sundry and apart from my scangauge I don't have anything easily visible in the car that some arsehole might break a window to pinch.

lol thats a harsh analogy!
Maybe you need to update your version.
I began using Android with Cupcake (1.5) and yeah, it was limited and ghetto-looking back then.
It's grown heaps in a short time but, and it's improvements are the reason why it's now the top operating system across smart devices.
Anyway personal choice and expectations I guess.

I agree with the visible objects issue though. I usually just remove it and put it under the seat if I park in a seedy neighbourhood.

Yeah but that harsh analogy makes me lots of money :big_smile: I can't sell a computer running android but Windows PC's sell themselves despite all the MS hatred out there.

I do use Android on the tablet for connecting to the net when inside watching tv and the missus is using the laptop, I think it lacks a lot of things Windows does but it's good enough for a toy that needs bugger all CPU power and RAM.

Truth be known I don't hate Android, I hate the idea of using anything smaller than 19 inches to surf the net :sarcastic:

Latest posts

Back