STX 550 clocks/dash problem

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam777

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone else on here has experienced this or can give me any ideas on what might of occurred.

Tonight on the way home i was sat at some traffic lights and all of a sudden the clocks just went dark and the needles all dropped to the bottom like when you turn the ignition off, the rev counter needle then started fluttering about a fair bit but only right at the bottom more or less where the needles sit when ignition is off all the others stayed still so not like when you calibrate them via the two clock buttons, they eventually came back on but the ºc symbol then flashed all the way home, not the digits just the ºc.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Bad instrument cluster earth.....the wifes new jeep did exactly that....stick your head under the dash an find any earth cables and give a wiggle while you have someone looking at the dash...tighten the offending cables

Mine did exactly the same thing at about 8 months old - sitting in peak hour traffic on a really hot afternoon. Reported it to the dealer at the next service (which was only the following week) but they could not fault it (no surprises there).
Hasn't happened since (touch wood)!!!

Over heated instrument cluster? ºc could be the actual indicator/fault light......how smart is the dash these days in a nav?

Have you done anything with the stereo lately?

Older model D40s (2010 and previous) were known to share an earth point between the stereo and instrument cluster. Connect the chassis of your stereo to the vehicle body and the problem is resolved.

Just try connecting a cable from the stereo chassis to the vehicle body (which is battery negative). Since that connection SHOULD be made anyway, it won't do any harm, but if it solves your problem, then it means that someone forgot to connect a wire up properly in the dash.

There is a fuse for the instrument cluster as well - it would be well worth pulling it out and looking at its surface for oxidisation. Reinsert it a couple of times and it should come good, but if there is any oxidisation I'd replace it.

Thanks i will have a look at that fuse, i did check the electronic aux fuse or whatever it says i think it was 8th down on the left if i remember rightly as i had read a story of that working loose, but mine is in a big white plastic housing in that fuse and i removed and put it back as all looked good.

Hi Adam, mine did exactly as you describe last night whilst stopped at the lights I looked down at the panel and noticed the needles fluttering and then the degrees c blinking for about 2 mins.

Never had a problem before. Only thing that was different was day before had my mobile mechanic do the 10k service - change oil, rotate tyres, check levels.

Hoping the prob doesn't return!

Dex

Latest posts

Back