Standard batteries and Warn winch fitting

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uniden

Reaction score
Hey guys. Just scored a Warn WD9000 winch which i'm about to mount on my ARB bar. Does anybody have a wd9000 on their D22 with a factory dual batteries setup? It says it needs batteries with cold cranking amps of more than 600A, so i'm wondering if the standard ones are good enough for it or would i need to swap one out ?

Also did anyone here fit one to their ARB bull bar? I'm somewhat confused about it, since the way winch will be mounted, the clutch selector will be facing backwards towards the engine. The winch came with pretty good wiring details but not a heck of a lot about fitting one. I know it's not rocket science but figured i'd ask, as it's got be a bit confused. Any opinions would be great cheers.

The cold cranking amps needed might be 600 amps but each of the standard twin cranking batteries would only need to be rated at 300 CCA to deliver enough (300 each) because they are wired in parallel (or at least they should be, mine are).

Some D22's were only fitted with a single cranking battery though (mine was) so I fitted a 2nd cranking battery before I fitted my winch. That was easy as even though the 2nd battery wasn't fitted the tray and leads were already there, just wrapped with tape.

I wouldn't be worried if your D22 has twin cranking batteries fitted already.

also, you can rotate the gearbox 90* so you can have the clutch sitting where you need to,unsure how it is on the warn but usually its just 4 bolts and maybe a snap ring, then the whole lot turns wherever you need it and you put the bolts back in..... and away you go! :)

also, you can rotate the gearbox 90* so you can have the clutch sitting where you need to,unsure how it is on the warn but usually its just 4 bolts and maybe a snap ring, then the whole lot turns wherever you need it and you put the bolts back in..... and away you go! :)

Yeh mate i had a look at that on my mates warn, but not sure how it would out. I'll take another closer look tomorrow. And thanks for the rest of the replies as this gave me a bit of knowledge when i get my winch. I guess 2 batteries definitely will be enough. Plus i plan to upgrade one of them to a deepie and split the system anyway. Cheers.

Last edited:
Actually he was just around and it looks like you need to undo the allan bolts then slide the gearbox out 5-10mm and rotate in slow increments or something like that. But it is possible to give you better access to the clutch selector.
Uniden, how did you go with your winch fitting underneath the bar? Did the bar have to come off?

As that was the winch i was looking at getting, I don't know how big a Wd9000 is but i think it would just fit under the bar without removing it.

That's right, its the Allen bolts you have to remove. Then you can move it 1 bolt around or 6.
Whatever will suit the mounting application.

Actually he was just around and it looks like you need to undo the allan bolts then slide the gearbox out 5-10mm and rotate in slow increments or something like that. But it is possible to give you better access to the clutch selector.
Uniden, how did you go with your winch fitting underneath the bar? Did the bar have to come off?

As that was the winch i was looking at getting, I don't know how big a Wd9000 is but i think it would just fit under the bar without removing it.

My bar didnt have tocome off it fit no issues. Thanks for the heads up about the winch, me and a mate did it this morning. Just be carefull, when you pull the allen bolts out dont pull the gear box out too far away from the drum otherwisre the gearing inside it will mess up and youll never get it back in. Im told it has to go back to warn if this happens.

Just be carefull, when you pull the allen bolts out dont pull the gear box out too far away from the drum otherwisre the gearing inside it will mess up and youll never get it back in. Im told it has to go back to warn if this happens.

Rubbish,
I pulled mine completely apart caused it seized, cleaned all the planetary gears and loosened the sliding sleeve that engages everything.
Put it back together after a good greasing, no probs.
As long as you take note of how it comes apart, its easy to do.

Rubbish,
I pulled mine completely apart caused it seized, cleaned all the planetary gears and loosened the sliding sleeve that engages everything.
Put it back together after a good greasing, no probs.
As long as you take note of how it comes apart, its easy to do.

Yeh thats what i thought too. It seemed a bit extreme that it would have to go back to Warn. It's just a few cogs and gears that mesh together. My friends pulled his apart as well to re-check after it got submerged in slush. Plus i'm pretty sure it can only go back one way so unless something is broken, theres no real way to mess it up.

Latest posts

Back