stalling after start up and no glow plug light

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Comments from Nissan:
Check for vehicle cutting out while driving and found internal fault in suction control valve. Replaced valve and tested operation ok. Warranty. Hopefully that is it.

Occasionally when I stall mine it will fire on restart but revs will almost instantly die right off and stall again. A couple of times I have been able to rev out of it but most times I have to pop bonnet and pump hand primer a few times. Originally thought blocked fuel filter but did it again after change. Has done with genuine fuel filter and with current cooper alternative. It has done it probably 10 times over the last 18 months or so, first couple it was still under warranty but dealership couldn't fault. It's had a water in fuel issue a couple of years back (cheap fuel, not shell tho) wondering if this could be a symptom if fuel pump damage? 9 out of 10 tanks is caltex vortex from the same pump but only exception is bp truckstop at Rocklea, massive turnover. Use chemtech diesel power in roughly every 3rd tank. Have diesel care systems secondary filter to fit this weekend. Considering 12v pressure pump. Any thoughts???

My first thought would be a small leak on the suction side of the filter, either an overtightened hose clamp or a split in the fuel line. Won't show as a leak because that side is always in suction, but when the system gets to relax, air seeps back in allowing the fuel to drain back to the tank. I'm thinking along these lines because you say that re-priming it resolves the stalling issue.

cheers tony. i'll be fitting diesel care unit tomorrow so i'll investigate. will post any findings.

My first thought would be a small leak on the suction side of the filter, either an overtightened hose clamp or a split in the fuel line. Won't show as a leak because that side is always in suction, but when the system gets to relax, air seeps back in allowing the fuel to drain back to the tank. I'm thinking along these lines because you say that re-priming it resolves the stalling issue.

I was thinking along the same lines, something is letting the fuel drain back for some reason. It pretty much will do it every morning now if I don't prime the pump before start up. Will be taking it in to Nissan shortly

I'd check the hose clamps around the fuel filter. If they're too tight, they can pinch the hose and cause a leak. If the problem has only appeared since the last time the fuel filter was changed, it's likely to be a seal inside that often isn't seated properly during reassembly - both DIYers and professionals make the mistake.

Mine just started doing this lately, and yes the fuel filter has just been change might have to suss that out. Cheers Tony, thanks for the heads up, I'm hoping that's all it is.

I loosen all the hose around my fuel filter then moved the hoses, back and forward. I then tighten them back up again, the clips that are on it can only tighten so far so you can't over tighten them. But anyway it started this morning no problems, I thought you beauty. Then the missus rung me a couple hours later, and it had lost power and would only idle. Did nothing when she put the foot down. I told her to turn it off and prime it, it then ran good again. Might have to bite the bullet and let Nissan have a look at it.:confused3:

Hi all

Had some weird happenings with the Nav recently, just want to see if anyone has had the same issue.

A few times in the last 2 weeks, I've started the car and walked away and it's stalled within 10-15 secs of being started. When I go to fire it up again, the glow plug light doesn't come on and it cranks for a good 5 secs before it fires.

My inital thoughts are it's a fault relating to the glow plugs but I'm not sure. The car is bog stock with no aftermarket bolt ons or mods (EGR blank etc) and has 53,000km on the clock

It's under warranty so I'll go back to Nissan if it continues, but has anyone else had this kind of issue?

Cheers!

Brett

Hey Brett,

I have exactly the same problem as you listed above. Exact. Glow plugs and all. Has been happening every morning for the last week, some mornings worse than others. I am out of warranty so if you find out what is wrong can you let us know. Do you know where the SCV is located and how to check it?

Hey Brett,

I have exactly the same problem as you listed above. Exact. Glow plugs and all. Has been happening every morning for the last week, some mornings worse than others. I am out of warranty so if you find out what is wrong can you let us know. Do you know where the SCV is located and how to check it?

Hi Sam

Mine hasn't done it for a while, but I had it serviced 3,000km ago and saw on the invoice i was ccharged for a fuel filter when it wasn't due after I told my mechanic to check the fuel system for any errors on their part before I take it to Nissan. In saying that, I also moved house and park the ute on a flat surface in my garage now opposed to a slight hill at the old place (rear down hill) and have heard of other guys having an issue if parking ass down on a hill and the fuel draining back.

I have a couple of warranty concerns to see Nissan about soon so I'll be getting them to check it out anyway, but as for now, mines stopped doing it so best advice I can give is to take note of how it's parked when it's stalling, if it's parked on a hill (only has to be slight in my experience) then the fuel may be draining back - although it really shouldn't be.

Once I've been to Nissan, I'll update this, but it won't be for a few more weeks.

Cheers

Cheers mate. I too park on a slight slope, however it has happened ( the most severe symptoms) on the flat. Only in the morning, so may be time related and definitely fuel related. This morning I pumped the primer half a dozen times before starting and it was the first time all week that it didn't die. Off note is that this all started just after my last service which they replaced the fuel filter!!!! So will start there and see how I go looking for leaks and drain back. I also have some weird metalic sound coming from the drive train under acceleration so am unsure if it is related or not.

Thanks again for the info mate.

yeah i think mine might have the same problem, sometimes when i turn the key the glowlight doesnt come on and if i wait a few secons and start it it will kick over but then when the revs come back down it stalls. do u think this would be the SCV aswell? it happened on the flat aswell but i usually park the nav on a slight hill.

Your glow light should ALWAYS come on, even if it's momentary. The light goes out when the car is ready to be started - but if your coolant temp is below 85C, the glows will be on regardless of the light. You might have a faulty glow relay?

Took mine into nissan and got them to check it out, they said that some fault code showed a fuel filter problem. I said I had changed the filter twice in the last 10K. So they did a relearn on the computer, and said if that dosen't fix it, then it's my primer pump. I can't see it being that as it would do it all the time, wouldn't it? I read somewhere else that I should be putting a genuine nissan filter on. Would that be right? I might try it and see how it gose. How hard is it to change the suction control valve?

The SCV is attached to the fuel pump. It's not simple but it's by no means brain surgery (and if it was, you'd have to buy a Jeep).

Fuel filter changes sometimes result in issues around the seal. A minor misplacement and it can cause trouble - leaking air into the system being the most common issue.

If your primer is causing you trouble it should be fairly obvious. Give the primer a number of squeezes. If you can get to 10 squeezes and it's not really firm, then there's an air leak or the primer is faulty. Watch for overtightened clamps.

Latest posts

Back