spotties burning out fuse

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hosery

Reaction score
I recently fitted lightforce 240 xgts to my ute. I used the old wiring that the previous owner had still in there as he had lightforces also so figured it would be fine. The lights work fine but than the next time nothing. My fuses keep burning out one melted another burnt the tooth bit. The fuses arent blowing they are just getting to hot. Tried 30A and 40A. When switching hi beam on and off you can here the fuse box thing clicking on and off still. Any suggestions before i go to an auto elec

The problem is most likely the fuse holder, not the fuse. If there is a bad connection, ie-resistance, and current is drawn through it, heat will be generated. Suggest replacing the entire fuse holder/fuse assembly.

You could try cleaning the fuse holder as well, just to see if that's causing the problem. If that fixes the problem, replace it with something that won't corrode or attract debris as quickly.

Are the driving lights activated by the high beam but driven through a relay? If you're trying to power the driving lights directly from the high beam wire, it's no wonder the fuse is blowing. Your driving lights probably draw about 8.5A each (100W), so they should be run through a 20A relay (minimum, 30A or 40A is better). The fuses and relays should NOT heat up unless something is wrong.

Just another quick note on fuses. Always be a bit careful about simply putting in a bigger (higher amperage) fuse. A fuses primary function is to prevent fires caused by wiring overheating due to excess current flow due to a short circuit or overload. Many people are under the incorrect assumption that fuses protect electrical devices. This is incorrect in that the fuse usually blows due to the item failing and drawing excess current. If you put a fuse in that is too large for the capacity of the wiring loom it is possible to start a fire because the loom has become the "weakest link" in the circuit.

Latest posts

Back