some severe mid-weekitis

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-JOSH-

Reaction score
This will get a laugh.

Decided to change my oil in the nav this afternoon so I picked some oil up from my mechanic, drove on home and jumped under the car, undid the plug started watching the oil drain out and it looked really clear for around 8000ks.
Oddly only 1 to 1.5 litres comes out. I'm looking at it waiting for more oil to come but nothings coming. I stand up unscrew the filter and pour that into the oil pan, this oil is fairly black.
Now I'm starting to worry that i have a pretty bad leak somewhere so under I go looking for any oil leaks, nope nothing out of the ordinary.
I decide to pull the dipstick out and have a gander at this. To my surprise this is completely full. Now I'm getting really confused, WTF is going on. I keep looking over the car trying to figure out what is wrong and can't seem to find anything.
Finally after about 10 minutes of scratching my head I think 'I wonder if I have just undone the front diff':suicide:
Sure enough I have so I undid it and here comes the black gold pouring out.
Not only did I stuff this up, now i have to take my mrs car to work tomorrow as no shops are open to get some new diff oil as I have already mixed in the engine oil.:star:

Lol.

You gotta quote this and put it in garage mis-haps.

Id say he has just been really tired.

Haven't done it myself.

if you've got a d22 just leave it in 2wd with the front hubs unlocked. it won't spin the front driveshaft so it doesn't matter if there's no oil in the diff...

Lol.

You gotta quote this and put it in garage mis-haps.

Id say he has just been really tired.

Haven't done it myself.

ohh I am shattered, been a big week but to stuff up like this, has to be one of the dumbest things i have ever done

if you've got a d22 just leave it in 2wd with the front hubs unlocked. it won't spin the front driveshaft so it doesn't matter if there's no oil in the diff...

Is this the truth, or would it be better just to leave it until i get some oil?

it's true. if you have the hubs unlocked and the transfer case in 2H then the front driveshaft doesn't rotate. that's why you have to lock the hubs in to get 4wd.

yeah but is it still free spinning? Which in turn would do damage with no oil to lubricate moving parts.

What Bods said.

The front diff and front drive shaft wont spin.

Only the wheel bearings will be turning.

no, unless the hubs are locked in or the transfer is in 4wd that front shaft does nothing. if you don't believe me tie a rag tightly around it with the knot at the bottom, just reverse it out of your driveway and poke your head under, the rag will still be in the same spot.

if you can get your misses to reverse it out even, lay on the ground looking at it, it will not move.

Ahahah funny shit. Has not happened to me yet but I see it coming. Sometimes we get so used to routine that we don't think about it. We all make mistakes.

I literally just finished changing the oil and filter in the Nav to come on here and read this... too funnny.

I once knew someone that did the same thing but went one step further and without realizing put the new oil in the motor on top of the old, needless to say it didn't end well. At least you didn't get that far.

That's brilliant, you will never do that again! Nor will anyone reading this!! (touch wood)

bods said:
if you can get your misses to reverse it out even, lay on the ground looking at it, it will not move.

don't forget "not" to be under it when she reverses out :) :)

That is gold! And a good lesson for the rest of us ( fingers crossed we don't repeat your mistake).

How hard is it to fill the front diff? Do you need a pump bottle like you do for trans fluid?

yeah it does make it a hell of a lot easier to fill if you have a proper pump, or you can make your own with a 2L bottle with 2 hoses and a compressor.

Is all sorted now, just goes to show, pay attention to what you are doing...

That's a watermelon on head moment Josh.Did it slip down over your eyes whilst laying under the Nav? Must admit I am only used to a vehicle with one drain plug at front and could easily have done that also. Wont now, thanks for the heads up!

hahahaha glad i could help out guys and glad i could give everyone a good laugh

Latest posts

Back