Solar panels for camping

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks oldmate45 for that.
Your last line is good enuff for me...that's what I was going to do any way but just wanted to know what that connection was for.

I have just read on another forum that the controller can burn out if you have the panels connected without a battery connected. When I bought the car the owner took out the arkpac he had connected and just left the panels connected to the controller and all seems to be ok.

Do you know if there is any truth to this.?

Have added a pic of the controller...are these all much of a muchness or is it worth getting a better one?

Cheers.

Pjw.

Attachments

• navara pics 047.jpg
    navara pics 047.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 76
Controllers are pretty much the same these days. You might need to turn the unit on to get the load active. Try hooking the thing back up and pressing the 'set' button.

"Load" just means the devices you're trying to use like your fridge, lights, stereo, phone charger etc etc.

Thanks guys.
Yeah I tried plugging in the ciggy adapter into the "load" connection and running the fridge while in full sun and it wouldn't go.Pressed the set button and a 00 reading was present.Then plugged in the camp fluro and it was on but flickering.

I won't worry bout it anyway.I will just get a battery sorted and run all stuff through that.

Thanks for the help so far.I'm sure I will be back soon.:violin2:

a site on ebay called Outbaxcamping has 140 watt panels for $231 . anyone no much about these . Rays has got 120w waeco panels for $500.

im having trouble getting my head around the solar panel needs . im thinking a 2.5 kva
generator for 500 buks mite be a better option to run 2 engles and lites . i have 3 batteries .

im having trouble getting my head around the solar panel needs . im thinking a 2.5 kva
generator for 500 buks mite be a better option to run 2 engles and lites . i have 3 batteries .

Yeah no doubt you go the genny option for less. Each to there own but I really can't see the point of getting out in the sticks to run up a Genny. Don't Camp next to me. Well you can but I'll be moving.

^ A great deal of the issue is the noise created by the generator, but there's also the emissions and that you need to carry fuel for it. Solar panels (plus a decent battery) take the noise, emissions and fuel completely out of the equation. If you're going away to get some quiet, solar is going to help achieve the goals better than something that reminds you of a lawn mower.

Even my Honda Eu20si generator at 53dB makes too much noise. I know Yamaha had one that emitted 47dB but I'd already invested $2K in the Honda. I have a 25m cable that I would run into the bushes and place the genny behind a tree which alleviated a fair bit of the noise issue, but I'd have to bring the genny in at night to stop it from being stolen and it needed refuelling every 9 to 10 hours (4 litre tank).

I remember camping at Telegherry Forest Park once near a caravan that they ran a genny for the entire day and into the night ... until about 10pm. I asked them about the genny - a Honda Eu20, which I was curious about at the time, before I purchased my own - and they said that they'd fitted a household refrigerator to their caravan and when they were "free camping" this was their only means of keeping the fridge cold.

One advantage for them (apart from the greatly increased cooling capacity) was that nobody would camp within 50m of them, and most beyond 100m.

my plan was to only run genny to charge batteries. for the solar option anyone have any ideas what panels would be needed to keep batteries charged running 2 engles and lites .

A single 130W panel will provide about 11A for 5 hours in winter = 55Ah. Your Engels should use about 48Ah per day and lights could be 5-6Ah so ONE panel ought to be enough. Get a 150W panel if you can, you'll be streets ahead.

Thank you Old. Tony. A150w panel it will be . Do i need to get a controller as mentioned in other posts .

Depends how you do it, really.

If you choose to get a C-Tek D250S then you won't need a regulator AND when connected to the car alternator it will take power from there and continue charging the batteries.

If you choose to leave the solar input as the only input, then you'd do well to get a 20A solar regulator that has a facility to run the output as well (so that the regulator knows what power is being used). It should be quite a bit cheaper this way - we bought a 130W panel with a 20A regulator for our new caravan and the whole thing cost $315, whereas the C-Tek charger will cost you most of those $ on its own. However, there's no denying how good the C-Tek is - it gives you extra flexibility and will look after your batteries.

Still, either route will do fine.

The panels i bought have got what they call a MPPT controller . Will that do the job?

Ok guys is been a while since I've posted in here.
I've managed to calibrate my new battery monitor so it now gives correct discharge figures.
Last weekend I took the camper down yorkes & gave the panel a test out.
It was only putting in 5 amps when in the sun (mounted flat on the camper roof), BUT the battery was still at 95%, so it could've been the ctek only wanting to put that much in.
I'll try & drain the battery down more so I can see what it'll supply then.
The prob is the battery stays well charged bcos of it getting charged when driving.....lol a horrible problem I know....lol

Ha ha.. yeah I hear you Tony.
Ive actually got it disconnected now running the fridge up high. That out to drain a bit to test out the panel tomorrow with the camper on the lawn.

Ok guys the battery is down to 80%, so I plugged the panel in & im still only getting 5amps!
The panel is a 200w unit & is a clear sky with the sun directly over it now.
It's running through the ctek add it doesn't have a regulator on it.
The specs sat on it say it should produce 10a, im not sure what's going on.
The cable from the panel to battery is about 3m long & its proper solar cable supplied by jaycar.

Latest posts

Back