Smokey Diesel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernie

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Have just joined forum looks full of good comments and opions.
just purchased new Narvara STX King Cab and have found it to be quite smokey. When I tow my trailer (abt 950kg) and take off in first gear it usually leaves a cloud of black smoke.Had it back to dealer who tells me everything normal and not to worry that what diesels do ? Does anyone else have similiar issues and should I be concerned?
Cheers
Ernie

Hey mate, welcome.
I would say its normal,my D40 smokes a bit without towing, I towed a campervan over the weekend and noticed a fair bit more smoke in first.

it shouldn't smoke.
rare to see a smoky diesel here.

i would replace the fuel filter and reset the ecu ( delete learned data).
otherwise look at blocking egr which is generally a big cause of smoke.

I have followed heaps of D40's that blow smoke on take off, its not a thick black cloud of smoke but its there and noticeable

it shouldn't smoke.
rare to see a smoky diesel here.

i would replace the fuel filter and reset the ecu ( delete learned data).
otherwise look at blocking egr which is generally a big cause of smoke.

No offense meant tweak but every diesel i have ever owned has blown black smoke to an extent including my 2011 navara

i could believe it to.
shows how much you guys are being ripped off with your fuel.

over here its illegal to blow smoke. fuel co's had to supply better fuel.
last time i looked at aussie fuel spec it was 45 cetane minimum but most modern diesels require 50 minimum. (higher the number the easier it is for it to ignite/burn)

that smoke causes a few problems, especially with egr, cats blocking up and fouling injectors. so its in your interest to tune them so they don't smoke.

That would be right the big companies are always ripping us of one way or another what do you do though no point bitchin cause no one listens iv had 2 hilux's 2 landcruiser's and a d40 and they have all blown smoke all manual gear boxes dont know if that makes a difference

I have only ever run on Shell diesel and has been a bit smokey from day 1
maybe i should try BP and see if that makes a Difference.

Welcome to the forum.

It doesn't cost much to block the EGR and it might make a difference (it might not). My D40 blows absolutely NO smoke at all, but that's the DPF for you.

Diesels smoke for several reasons. Overfuelling, insufficient air (possibly a turbo actuator fault, possibly a failing turbo), dirty air filter, sticking turbo vanes, dirty MAFS, faulty turbo boost sensor.

Go to an outing with other Navara owners and see how yours measures up against a few others. I don't mean at the urinal, either.

i see all types of diesels do it here. d40's for some reason seem to be the worst, but the yd25 d22's aren't a lot better. i think it depends on the driver though, i used to drive a 2wd d22 2.5, that didn't smoke much at all, no egr block and using bp diesel, but that was driven hard all the time.

it might be worth taking up a few hills and sink the boot into it, also check the filters as tony suggested.

Have been told by friend to use BP diesel only.He works for large transport company and buys all their trucks,they have Isuzu and Hino trucks.They were having problems with injectors on trucks and were told by both manufactures to use BP.Since they have changed everything OK apparently BP is a cleaner or purer diesel ? Has anyone heard this before?
Ernie

I'd say it would be damn hard for the average person to prove who's fuel is the purest. However I'd suggest if you searched hard enough you'd find a heap of people all claiming each different brand is the best thing ever.

It's really, really hard to nail that on the head.

First, every manufacturer will say that THEIR diesel is better.

Then you'll have people that buy brand X and it craps their car out, making them swear off it. Happens all the time - not just for fuel. How many people drop this brand of car because of a bad experience and start driving that one instead?

What I found amusing was stopping at the Shell service station at Marla in SA. Sure, it's all yellow and had the big clamshell logo and even the word "Shell" up the top, but it was MOBIL fuel.

I have no idea whose fuel I'm buying any more. I just keep my receipts in case something goes wrong.

Latest posts

Back