Should I swap my 2.5 for the 3.0?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badman55

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I currently have a 2013 2.5 st manual D40 with 42000kms....
I need an auto so the mrs can drive it though....
Thinking of trading my Nav in for a 3.0td D40 with the 7speed auto, the one I am looking at is a 2011 with 80000kms on it.....
After some opinions.... Good or bad idea? Reliability issues?
My 2.5 is still under warranty, the 3.0 isn't... In very similar condition though.
A Ranger is the other option....
Opinions + comments will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys!

Isuzu then Ranger would be my pick.
whatever you get have the turbo shaft play and % blockage of the inlet manifold (yeah thanks EGR) checked out in a inspection.

Cheers

Just remember Nissan haven't fully fixed the hunting auto, although there is a fix a few have done. Have a read of Nathans build of his Ranger very impressive.

I like the d40 and the idea of the ballsy 3.0, but sounds like the Ranger / Isuzu might be more reliable trucks? Is the 7speet auto problematic?
Cheers for the replies!

My old man had a 3lt auto.kept it for probs 2years...great truck...drove just like a car (fast) traction control was great and was good on juice.auto was a auto..never really loved it as had a tendancy to change up gears too much for my liking..i prefer a manual..
If your looking at one check that the intercooler isnt split and leaking oil.if it was a manual i would have got it off him.

Not much love for 550 in Navara forums from non 550 owners :) dmax better than 550 ? LOL
I ve got a 550 and have driven DMax and Ranger. DMax is not in the same league as 550 engine wise and neither is Ranger . Ranger is more modern design and larger and DMax is a great basic work truck with handling and power to match. . 550 is an old Navara body with a monster engine. Quality wise I rate Navara higher than Ranger.7speed in Navara is a good unit - some complain about shift pattern (not holding first on steep inclines- not an issue for me) but it hasn't been unreliable . I suggest you take them for a drive and see which one suits best :)

Last edited:
Dmax
How can anyone rate a dmax when they haven't sold enough of the shitboxes to cart the local footy club around

I would take the 550 over a dmax anyday
The 550 auto's have an issue with the auto but its more a programing issue rather than mechanical and its only a real issue in low range
There have been stories bout I/coolers splitting, not a massive issue.not every one is going to split

Nothing wrong with the 550 the mrs will love it
cheers

Last edited:
D-max over a 550 lol..............
Some body must be paying you's to say that.
It's not perfect, but what car is? The amount of power is amazing and the fuel economy is awesome.
It is the best engine available, there are other V8's that produce more power, but they use a hell of a lot more fuel for not that much more gain.
In it standard form it is a beautiful ute to drive on road and is quite capable offroad.
And if you're willing to spend some more money you'll get a 4wd that can go just about anywhere.
Running a set of 33" with a 550 and you'll barely notice the torque loss unlike the 2.5ltr.
I could keep going but that will do for now.

Yep, manuals aren't too hard to get a hang of these days, but if you drive in city traffic, they can be PITA.

G'day,
Mid last year I got the 550. The cook didn't get any motion sickness in it, even driving the Vic High Country and Snowies. Holden, Ford and Mazda didn't last the test drive around town. If you want "Car" comfort it is a good contender. As a stock standard 4X4 It will surprise a lot of people.

Id go the nav auto. If i had my time again id buy and auto and defently the 550. Manuals are over rated haha especially when you drive a road ranger b double truck all day :(

Rangers are really nice but over priced.

And my opinion on autos are they are better if your towing

Thanks for the replies guys!
Manuals def not hard to learn or drive, the mrs can drive it, but recent job changes mean we are doing mainly city driving... It becomes a real pain especially when the vehicle has absolutely no balls below 2000rpm...
Good to see a few people stick up for the Nav! I do like the Dmax, however it is at the bottom of the list with the Triton.... At the moment the list has been shortened to the 550 or a v6 prado 120....
If anyone is interested in swapping a 550 for a near new manual D40, let me know!

Cheers

Latest posts

Back